1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

thoughts on writing first book?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rookie23, May 2, 2007.

1. T&C

T&C Member

If you don't know the difference between a novel and a memoir, you probably aren't ready or qualified to write either one.

2. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Actually for a first-timer, a publisher probably wouldn't even look at it until they had a full manuscript. Then you've got about one page to keep 'em going. And every page after it better keep them going. Or else they'll toss it and not think twice.

You think this is a tough business we're in? This is nothing.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Since I'm from that biz, I can tell you categorically that a publisher NEVER wants to see a full ms. at the beginning. What they want to see is a sample of your writing. Most editors can tell after about 500 words whether you've got a book in you.

What you need are two things: an agent and an a proposal/outline

Agents for authors with no experience are as difficult to nail down as a publisher.

The outline is a sales pitch for your book and forces you to think about what your book is about.
    It's a cliche but true: if you can't describe your book in 25 words or less, then you don't know have a handle on it.

Lots of sites that explain how you structure an outline. Some authors claim it's harder to write than the book.

Unfortunately, as T&C said, if you don't know the difference between a novel and a memoir, you're probably not ready to write either.

It's an unforgiving biz these days. New books have the shelf life of a loaf of bread.

And unless you're over 50, won the Nobel Prize or screwed Britney Spears, forget about a memoir.

4. swenk

swenk Member

Actually, not necessary for non-fiction. A publisher needs to love the idea, see the size of the market, and read enough of an overview to be confident that the market will buy the book.

Not a small thing, buying a book--sports fans have a lot of other choices. They buy hats and jerseys and expensive tickets; books are expensive and they had better be worth it. Especially when there might be a shelf full of similar books on the same subject.

I've been doing sports books for (too many) years--mainly as an agent--and all I know for sure is that no one knows anything for sure. One publisher pays a half million dollars for a book, it sells 8,000 copies. Another publisher takes a gamble on a first-timer, pays $25k, and it sells millions of books. See Feinstein, John and Smith, Sam.

So what do you do? First, ask yourself, and be honest: is anyone going to be interested enough to buy it? Not, 'well, my barber says it's a great idea,' but really, can you stand in the bookstore or search Amazon, look at the competition, and say, 'There is definite niche here, and I'm going to fill it.'

If you're still encouraged, get yourself an agent. It's a big lie that first time writers can't get agents; ALL agents are looking for great ideas they can sell. I love finding a smart, sharp, talented first-time author--especially when he or she knows the subject better than anyone else out there. A good agent will tell you how to shape your idea, develop a proposal, and tell you the truth.

Your proposal: I've seen hundreds zillions, and I still don't think there's one right way to do them. I like to see a drop-dead opening scene that just grabs you by the throat, and drags you through every page. Think about it as a lengthy magazine piece--you get to the end and you want more. That's how you want a publisher to feel. Crazed for more. Add a chapter outline with some wild anecdotes, and then just pray.

There's some 15% worth of advice, and you got it for free. Hope it helps someone! :)

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Swenk nailed it.

You've got 15 seconds to grab the reader's attention with a proposal.

No one knows nothing in publishing because it's still a gut-feel based biz.

And there are still things you can't control

A number of years ago I worked for a (Canadian) publishing house and we published George Bell's memoir after his MVP season. We advanced 25,000 copies (the equivalent of 250,000 in the U.S), had a great launch, sold through like crazy for a month and then three weeks before Xmas he got traded to the Cubs.

End of book and a warehouse full of returns.

6. swenk

swenk Member

It's always the Cubs. My first bestseller came during my rookie year as an editor in Chicago--1984. The book was called 'Cubs Win!', sold 100,000 copies in two days. Until the title became a lie, and that was the end of that.

I did later work with Steve Garvey, and that book didn't sell either, so I guess there was some justice there, but damn. You never forget your first disaster.

I need to go throw up now.

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Is there anything on there about screenwriting?

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Misery won't carry the day. But if you put your misery through the eyes of a character that you build, it becomes that much more powerful.

9. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I've been a book publisher myself, worked for a couple "mid-major" publishers and had a number of books published. A few thoughts:

1. Don't bother writing a memoir/autobiography unless you're very well known or if you plan to self-publish and don't care about how many books you sell (the latter choice means you're scratching an itch.

2. Suggest you pick a topic of dear interest to you and one with a narrowly defined editorial niche. Writing "The History of Baseball" won't do you any good. But really fleshing out the details and nuances of a compelling life story of the only Native American ever to win a baseball MVP Award before going to med school to become a heart surgeon might have potential.

3. Put together a killer book proposal---there are beaucoup books that tell how to do this, I won't waste your time here---that you can SELL to a good agent, start with the ones in NY, and then let the good agent polish it with you so he or she in turn can sell it to a decent publishing house. Agent gets 15%.

4. Don't have a delusion of getting a huge advance. But make sure you get something. Low 5 figures is reasonable for a first-time author with no name. Just make sure you get something upfront.

5. Don't forget---you will need to pay your own expenses in researching and writing the book, so have a rough figure in mind and make sure your advance more than covers it.

6. Look for a well-known athlete or coach who you can talk into letting you ghostwrite a book for them, and that will open some doors when it comes to agents and publishers. It's all about marketability and getting a fee of, say, 25K or 30-40% of the advance will mean a nice paycheck and still the satisfaction of writing a book. No shame in piggybacking.

7. Don't write a chapter without first having a thorough outline, a strong Rolodex, and a fully supportive spouse (if you're married.)

8. Read David Halberstam and/or Michael Crichton and really soak it up.

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Swenk, I know too many authors who would kill for a 100,000-copies sold disaster. I gather you had a revised edition ready and had to kill it? And was that the book by Bob Logan?

11. swenk

swenk Member

That's the book. Do you have one? Can I buy it?? :D

The disaster was that after the Cubs went up 2-0 against the Padres, and this skinny $5 paperback hit the NY Times bestseller list, we went back to press for another 100,000 copies. Oops. The unopened cartons of books made lovely office furniture for many years to come.

(The late Bob Logan was indeed the author...what a character. Every page of his manuscript had all the sights and smells of a food court.)

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I'm not 50 yet, but 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted