1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

How does it follow naturally from Jesus? He talks about it. More than once. And, according to the Apostle’s Creed everyone on this thread says they like, it’s where he goes after he dies and before he’s raised again.

I’m not telling you to believe any of it. I am saying if you read the New Testament for any length of time, none of this is surprising.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Nobody is saying Muslims get a free pass because of that. But we are saying you can't judge an entire religion by the actions of a minority of believers. Do we want Christianity judged by the actions of the Westboro folks? No.

The problem so many have with other faiths is a lack of personal knowledge. Get to know some Islamic folks. Spend time with them. Eat with them. Talk with them. They shouldn't be painted with a broad brush tainted by the actions of a few.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

As I said, enlighten me.

You've explained nothing, only stated that all three religions worship the same God, and that would be true as far as the original, um, origins of the faiths. Beyond that -- and even in that, because in Islam there is no "father" God -- I would argue against it. What/whom I worship is not who followers of Islam worship.

I've made a point of attempting to inform myself about Islam. There are problems and particular idiosyncrasies in it that lead to further problems, even for those who practice the faith, but suffice to say that the principles of Islam, the teachings and traditions of the Quran, and the words and actions of Muhammad are inherently and foundationally violent. There is no denying it.

Some of my knowledge and awareness comes from discussions with Christian missionaries in Islamic-dominated areas, to be sure, and I've always found them interesting and informative, which is why I shared about it. But really, you can get a lot just from study and reading on your own, which I also did and found informative, intriguing, eye-opening, and, at times, kind of stunning, actually. I learned a lot and I recommend it. Check out the Books thread for some of the titles that gave me a clearer understanding. And, don't discount the knowledge that Christians, or Christian missionaries, may have about Islam just because they are Christian. They undoubtedly have more experience with and exposure to Muslims and Islam than any of us, and perhaps there's actually a reason they're Christian, and not Muslim.

4. Inky_Wretch

Crossthread ...

I'm wondering how churches will be affected by the pandemic. As churches close for weeks (or months) will people not return? Or will they miss the fellowship and return?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Everyone said they like it? Who? I didn’t say I line it.

So we are back to quotes that were likely made up by the reporters. Got it.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Please stuff your condescending attitude where the sun does not shine. Just because you disagree with me doesn’t mean I am not educated on the topic, especially given your history of ignorance.

Semantics of the religion do not mean the three faiths do not worship the same G-d. By definitions you provided, Jews don’t worship the same God, either, and that only highlights your ignorance of that faith, too.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Live streaming, social distancing, meal trains, all Sunday school events canceled, online tithing. Starts there.

The streaming helps with the sermon. With worship, it is what it is. People who really love the music/choir are probably more likely to show up.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

The Catholics here have canceled until, at least, Easter. The UMCs are in hot zones or cities where the mayors have banned large gatherings. So have the Lutherans and Episcopals. The Evangelical, non-denoms are doing their own thing on a church-by-church basis, as usual.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

12. Inky_Wretch

Draft saved Draft deleted