1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My reason for criticizing Christians over other religions (my core belief is I respect everyone’s right to believe what they want); why do Christians have to save everyone else? How about just let them believe what they want?

OscarMadison and heyabbott like this.
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

They can’t be happy unless they not only believe they will go to heaven but you will go to hell. And I do know wonderful people who are Christian. Neighbors who are just the sweetest and kindest people ever. Very Christian church going people. Have helped us through crisis and have prayed with us. Our oncologist and nurses. People we work with are Christians and wonderful. And if they were Muslims or Buddhists or atheists they would be wonderful. But only Christians have a track record for pure oppression based on religion, until the Muslims usurped the PLO’s purely political terrorism for a religious one.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This is why I respect Judaism so much. Non-invasive religion. I can't spell the word beginning with P that means to seek new congregants.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Evangelicals don’t represent the whole of Christianity.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Well, I guess they don't have to. But they want to. It's a mission -- the mission -- in anticipation of Christ's return at the end of time, and it's all referenced in multiple Bible teachings.

A couple pages back on this thread, someone mentioned the seeming exclusivity of Christianity. But Christians don't want to be exclusive -- not when it comes to sharing the good news of Christ. That makes it all-important that the message of salvation is spread. They don't want people "left behind," as they are in the aptly named book series. Christians believe many people will be, of course, but the goal is for that to happen to as few as possible.

To wit:

He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned." (Mark 16:15-16).

And:

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19-20).

Or:

"And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." (Matthew 24:14).

And the one mentioned previously:

Jesus answered, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6).

It's all about the end times. Jesus laid it all out with regard to what has to happen in order not to be condemned at the end, and tasked his followers with doing their level best to help make it happen, all while teaching people how to live a good life along the way.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Other Christians can’t save you. Only God can. But Christians are commissioned to share the good news with the world abroad in accordance with God’s plan.

Why do anything with anyone? Why make a new meal for a friend? Why buy someone a new shirt? They can buy their own shirt. Why ever talk about or do anything that’d ever change anyone in any way?

I mean, come on.

7. heyabbott

Share? Or impose by force? Ruin other people’s lives because you think you know your idea of god’s plan.

is god really so small minded and simple that a deity would in trust the Franklin Graham and Jim Bakker as his prophets? Your abstract message is nothing but good manners. Your means of delivering the message is bloody and horrible.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If you think preaching your religion to people is a gift on the order of buying them a shirt or cooking a meal for them, you don't understand what makes for a good gift. ... i.e. one that is about what the other person might actually enjoy, rather than it being about your wants and needs.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Who said He does?

10. heyabbott

They do. And they are uncontradicted. Pat Robertson and many others say god told them his plan. That makes them prophets. Do the Almas of the Christian world say Graham and Bakker and Ostein and Falwell are going to hell and are spreading false messages?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Offering to share is fine, though it is often self-serving. I believe that is a requirement of the religion, though it certainly sounds like something that came from men trying to build up their church rather than G-d. If you truly believe that is the only way to salvation, I can understand the argument that proselytizing is a kindness to others. In reality, it can come off as disrespectful to their beliefs and a source of confrontation.

My best friend is a devout Catholic. I believe his faith is genuine and a core part of his identity. It seems to be a genuine source of strength and comfort for him. He has always been willing to talk about it, but he is also respectful of my beliefs. Letting people know you are willing to share the word, but respecting their wishes if they don't want to hear it is fine. Sadly, that last part seems to be difficult for many Christians.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I will now and forever think of the Inquisition as a dinner party gone wrong.

swingline and OscarMadison like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted