1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thor is now a Goddess

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jul 15, 2014.

1. [​IMG]

I could dig it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I had the Marvel Unlimited subscription for a while. $9.99 a month and there are literally thousands and thousands of back issues to read digitally. The newer issues seemed to come on line after about a year or so.

I dropped it because I just had no time for it but if you're looking to dip your toes back into the Marvel universe, it's a good option.

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Making the rounds on the Interwebs:
    Disney owns Marvel.
    Marvel owns Thor.
    Thor is the son of a king, or a prince.
    Thor is now a woman, or a princess.
    Thor is now a Disney Princess ©.

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

A few thoughts:

1) If you don't mind digital, I'd try a Marvel Unlimited subscription and see what you like. Then, if you don't want to hit up your local comic shop (which I'd recommend -- a good shop is a valuable thing, plus supports a local small biz), use Amazon or your local library to get the collected trade paperbacks. Can save a couple of bucks on buying back issues that way.

2) If you want a good book to jump in on the X-Men, I'd try All-New X-Men, which really isn't all-new. The original X-Men (Cyclops, Jean Grey, Iceman, Angel, Beast) have been brought to the current Marvel universe. It's had a good run so far.

As for other X-titles, don't waste your time with the current X-Factor. I'm enjoying Uncanny X-Men and X-Men, which have mostly characters from the '90s in them. Magneto has been excellent as well, and it's fairly early in its current run.

It's a good time to jump on with Amazing Spider-Man since Peter Parker just returned. As for the numbering thing, the decimal-point issues are a way to tell a story the writers want to tell without interrupting the current story in the comic. You can read Amazing Spider-Man 1, 2, 3, etc. without reading 1.1, 1.2, etc., and not have a problem with it.

Captain America is on a pretty good run. If you want something a little different, try Hawkeye. Great art and fun writing. Not your typical superhero comic for sure.

Outside for Marvel, The Walking Dead is excellent. Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo are on an amazing run on Batman. You could pick up with the start of the Zero Year story, but I'd suggest going back to the start with the TPBs. The current Superman storyline is pretty good, too.

3) Original Sin is another in a long line of a comic tradition that started in the '80s really -- company-wide crossovers. Basically, it's a marketing ploy. As they go, this one isn't the worst (though the villains seem like an odd collection). A lot of the current titles will have issues that tie into it. The Original Sin title itself is the central storyline.

4) If nothing current strikes your fancy or you just want to get caught up, I'd go the TPB route. Like I said earlier, you can pick them up on Amazon or just go with your local library (mine stocks a ton of them now), though, again, I'd recommend you go with a local comic shop when possible. I was out of collecting for years and I used them to get caught up on the last decade and a half of X-Men comics that I had missed out on.

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Oh, and as for the different Avengers titles, they're focused on different teams. Here's a rundown, listed by comic title:

1) Avengers: Large lineup, dealing largely with cosmic threats since revamp. Lots of newer Avengers members (though some have been around for a while on other teams) mixed in with guys like Captain America and Iron Man.

2) New Avengers: Centers on Marvel's Illumnati -- Black Panther, Beast, Doctor Strange, Iron Man, Mister Fantastic, Namor and Black Bolt. Formerly included Captain America, but they erased his memory of their existence because of some bad stuff they were doing that he opposed.

3) Uncanny Avengers: A combination of X-Men and Avengers formed after the Avengers vs. X-Men storyline to help foster good will between man and mutant. Led by Havok. Includes Thor, Rogue, Scarlet Witch, Sunfire, Captain America and Wolverine.

4) Secret Avengers: An undercover Avengers squad controlled by S.H.I.E.L.D. and consisting of Black Widow, Hawkeye, Spider-Woman, Nick Fury Jr., Phil Coulson, Phil Coulson, Nick Fury Jr. and a few others off and on. The art on the current title sucks.

Oh, and another X-Men comic I've been really enjoying is Amazing X-Men. Great read. Also, Sex Criminals is a good title from someone other than Marvel or DC.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Thanks! Gonna move this discussion over the the general geek thread though.

7. This might be something to consider to get back into comic books.

http://www.wired.com/2014/07/marvel-comics-unlimited/

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Oh hell yes.

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I used to have a subscription to this before it was named Marvel Unlimited. Was a pretty good deal. Read tons of stuff the first few months. Eventually quit because I wasn't reading enough stuff from it to justify it.

Of course, if I had an iPad, I'd probably read plenty to make it worth it.

Draft saved Draft deleted