1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thompson finally enters race officially

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Sep 5, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The ultimate in feckless argumentation.

Sure, this guy sucks, but think how bad someone else would have been.

2. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Wait, what's going on here? Am I the only one who saw the title of this thread and wondered why it took Wright Thompson so long to run for president?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Certainly silly to think a dimwitted cement-head B-level actor could ever think about running for President of the United States.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Trouble just came to town.

5. As a follow-up to Dangerous_K's point, I'm also curious about these apocalyptic things you predict would have happened in a Gore administration. Did Gore propose raising the gas tax $5 (wasn't gas like a buck or a buck 50 when Clinton left office)? On income taxes, you do realize that Clinton raised the top marginal rate in 1993, but actually provided tax cuts for the middle and lower classes. Assuming you're not Rick Reilly, you probably would have gotten more tax breaks under a Gore administration than you did under this one. And, as Danger points out, we went on to 8 years of economic prosperity after Clinton's tax increase on the top marginal rate. Clinton also came through on his promise to balance the budget and actually left a budget surplus at the end of his administration. Basic economics: Budget surplus = good for the economy, FYI. Of course, Bush Jr. promptly fixed that with his tax cuts for the rich and his endless war in Iraq.

Replace the environmental regulations that you claim would have sent U.S. jobs to China with the giant American corporations buying everything from China rather than other American corporations because it's cheaper and you'll get an idea of what's actually happened under Bush Jr. That's the result of free trade, which is something the GOP is a big fan of. It's the free market at work, unrestricted, which I thought conservatives were in favor of? Gore would certainly be pressing for more sources of renewable energy to replace our dependence on oil, unlike the current resident of the White House and he wouldn't be trying to drill for oil in Alaska, God forbid.

A big majority of the country is fed up with the health insurance industry as it is and is willing to pay more in taxes for some sort of universal system - See link: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/01/washington/01cnd-poll.html?ex=1189224000&en=a530ee779b7c4648&ei=5070.

Public opinion is there and we're likely headed toward some kind of modified system (Dem Congress and a guaranteed Dem Prez in 2009 thanks to Bush's war, his 25-30% approval ratings and weekly GOP scandals). We're the only industrialized nation in the Western world without a universal system. Yet we can afford billions of dollars to attack and occupy a country that did nothing to us. On us being hit more at home if we hadn't attacked Iraq, that's been debunked a million times here and by Bush himself, who admits one day that Iraq had nothing to do with 9-11 and the next day tries to blur that line again to keep support up for his unpopular war. How are those insurgents that are picking off our brave soldiers one-by-one everyday going to get over here to attack us? Build a raft and float here? They don't have an Air Force or a Navy!!!

In the mean time, Iraq has been called the biggest foreign policy mistake in recent history by Republicans (Chuck Hagel comes to mind) and Democrats. It cost the GOP control of Congress for maybe the next generation (even the conservative news magazine "The Economist" is making such predictions). And that doesn't get to the signing statements where Bush claims the law doesn't apply to him, the illegal wiretapping program, the trashing of Habeas Corpus, ditching the Geneva Conventions, all the wasted taxpayer money on Iraq given to crony contractors (see Rolling Stone Magazine's excellent recent in depth piece on this), making the DOJ a joke and causing the AG to resign, and last but not least, outing a CIA agent as revenge (treason?), which of course led to the highest level White House official convicted of a felony since Reagan and Iran Contra. I could go on, but I'll stop there and give you a chance to respond. How Gore could have outdone the current occupant of the White House measured in terms of fuck-ups is beyond me. But I'll keep an open mind if you want to respond :) Maybe you're writing a bio on Gore and have insider information that he was planning to do all that stuff you alleged. Otherwise, all you can go on is his predecessor's record, which looks pretty damn good to me and most Americans (Clinton's popularity numbers are twice that of Bush Jr.'s)

/end of rant. Sorry for the length - I worked at a shop where we were encouraged to write long and that mentality apparently stuck!

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Yeah, that'd of been too bad for the nearly 4,000 families whose loved ones are coming home in flag-draped coffins and the thousands more who are crippled because of Bush's prick-waving dickfest.

And government making the health-care system look bad? We don't need government to do that; the broken, insurance-dominated-at-the-expense-of-medical-decision system is doing that all by itself, thanks.

Kyoto resulting in Draconian environmental regulations, which in turn, causes mass unemployment? You're kidding, right? Signing didn't seem to be affecting the Germans, the English or the Canadians.

That's the old reactionary canard, taken from the same big business uber alles playbook as a hike in the minimum wage causing a spike in unemployment. Study after study has disproven that, yet it keeps getting trotted out as economic fact when it's anything but.

And $6 a gallon gas? WTF did THAT come from? Hannity and Meat Puppet?

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Character is what you are in the dark. And, under the desk.

Then again, I did not say getting blown by an intern was the only sign of poor character.

There ain't shit of that anywhere in the District of Crap.

8. Or in South Africa.
    Such as.

9. That retort accomplished the same thing mine did in about half the words. Nice work! I seriously need to learn to write more concisely!

On a side note, abortion is still legal and gays are still in this country seven years into this nightmare known as the Bush presidency, which is all the GOP base cares about anyway. And yeah, the stuff about the evils of protecting the environment, socialized medicine etc. is straight from some right-wing talk show host.

Draft saved Draft deleted