1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thomas Lake on Pop Herring, the man who "cut" Michael Jordan in high school

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by brandonsneed, Jan 11, 2012.

1. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

Great read. Thought you'd all enjoy: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1193740/index.htm

And here's a link to the podcast with Richard Deitsch, in which they discuss Herring, who has various mental problems, and Jordan, who is remarkably ... well, Jordan-like ... about Herring's situation, and more. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/podcasts/richard_deitsch/index.html

2. Read this morning.. Great story.
    And yeah Jordan is a Grade-A dick.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I hadn't realized how much of a dick.

Superb piece.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Fascinating read.

And I'll echo the others. MJ is a major dick. He couldn't even be bothered to comment on a story about his high school coach?

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

He didn't cut him anyway. He put him on JV.

And, dude, 33 years. Hello.

I forgive Jack Carson, who cut me in seventh grade.

Of course, I was not Michael Jordan.

But it did lead me to sportswriting.

6. jr/shotglass

I still have a rough spot in my heart for John Bartholow, who cut me from the baseball team my senior year because he decided he wanted to grow with 12 sophomores.

But that was my senior year. And it was all-or-nothing. And I had as much chance of hitting a breaking ball with my eyes closed as I did with them open. ;)

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Did you just begin paying attention to sports?

8. jr/shotglass

Guess so. Glad you knew something I didn't.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I wasn't trying to be a dick (for once) but Jordan's status as a rotten person, even by the standards of superstars, is pretty well-known.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Haven't read the piece yet (though I'm anxious to do so after work tonight). But is the reason cited for Jordan declining comment his long-standing snub of SI dating back to this cover?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

God, I can't stand the idea that people have that Michael Jordan was cut. Herring had good senior guards. He knew Jordan was probably the best player on the team, but Jordan was also short and inexperienced. Most coaches would be praised for sticking with the seniors (who were very good). Herring gets crapped on. Jordan got way more minutes and the freedom to shoot whenever he wanted as a junior varsity player. He probably developed better because of it. He certainly got to bear a chip on his shoulder.

12. jr/shotglass

Sorry, my answer was more snarky than it should have been.

Draft saved Draft deleted