1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thomas Jones Traded to Jets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Mar 5, 2007.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

This is a good trade for the Jets, if the OL can block; Jones probably has a couple of good years left.

He had threatened to hold out, so the Bears didn't need that hanging over thier head going into camp. The huge danger is that Benson gets injured, which is the only thing he's done consistently in his career. Adrian Peterson (the original one) better get ready for 200 carries.

As for alienating Lance Briggs, I don't feel sorry for him. He's gonna get paid as a franchise designee. It's not like the Bears are lowballing him. Maybe if he showed up at the Super Bowl things would be different. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Drew Rosenhaus his agent?

A ton of wishful thinking here, but maybe he'll be the Al Harris and Todd Bell of the Bears this year and sit out while his teammates win it all. I can only hope. Anyway, I think he'll play; it's just a lot of offseason bluster right now. The Bears don't have a suitable replacement for him, although they probably get an outside LB in their first three picks (two of which are now in the second round).

2. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Here's one I don't get... I know it's the NYPost, but check out this story:
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/03052007/sports/jets/jet_trade.htm

The headline says: Source, Bears Trade Thomas, etc...
    But the article has no such source, nor any kind of attribution. Essentially, it copies what ESPN wrote, adds nothing and cites nothing. Am I the only one wondering about this?

By MARK CANNIZZARO
    March 5, 2007 -- For those Jets fans who were becoming increasingly antsy this offseason as the Jets seemingly idled while much of the competition around them (read: the Patriots) were making big-time improvements, take heart.
    The Jets finally struck last night and they struck pretty big, acquiring running back Thomas Jones from the Bears in a trade and finally bolstering their sagging rushing attack.
    Jones, 28, comes to the Jets along with a Bears’ second-round draft pick (the 63rd overall) for one of the Jets’ two second-round picks (the 37th overall).
    Jones’ agent, Drew Rosenhaus, was working with Jets’ management on a new contract (he has one year remaining on his current pact for $2.5 million).
    The deal is contingent on the Jets and Jones coming to a contract agreement and on Jones passing a physical today.
    The Jets would not comment on the deal and Rosenhaus did not return phone calls.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Excepting the RB, seems like they are following the example they set in 1986 to the tee, where they tore apart what should have been one of the greatest NFL dynasties of all time.

And two words still describe why:

cheap bastards.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A-fucking-men

I don't get the love for Benson either. All you ever here is "he's a tough runner, he gets the tough yards!" Yeah, and then he turns the fucking ball over.

Unless Chicago is planning on packaging it's No. 1 and both it's No. 2's to move way the hell up in the draft and take Adrian Peterson this is a really, really bad idea.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

This is the organization that, the day after signing Smith and Angelo, hiked ticket prices.

If they sign Briggs to a long-term deal, the Bears will probably hike them again.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

A-QB,

It would be sweet if they drafted Adrian Peterson and paired him in the backfield with Adrian Peterson. Except John Madden could never call another Bears game again because he would get such a boner over this, I would blow my brains out by the third quarter.

I never understood why people thought Ced Benson got "tough yards." Cedric Benson's classic move was to get a handoff, put his head down, and ram into the back of a Bears offensive lineman, falling down for a 3 yard gain that Jones would have turned into a 7 yard gain. Occasionally, he fumbled on his way to the ground. But I am now certain that in the second or third game of the season, Benson will be in the middle of a day where he is rushing for 21 yards on 9 carries, and he will miss a blitz because he doesn't know where pressure is coming from. Rex Grossman will get slammed to the turf, fumbling, and possibly break his arm. After the game, Jay Mariotti will write a column that puts all the blame on Grossman, and take no small amount of joy in the fact that the Bears will now have to "pound the ball with Benson" if they want to save their season. Four games, five Benson fumbles and three losses later, Mariotti will call for Lovie Smith to be fired, blaming Rex Grossman.

7. When you put up the best numbers by any Bears RB since Payton--repeating myself, I know, but it speaks volumes--I think you're rather entitled to expect your bosses to pony up some dough.

Benson blows. Factor in the tough schedule the Bears will play, and right now I'm thinking 8-8 might be a best case scenario.

Jesus. Between the Bears and Cubs, who do I even fucking bother?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I hate this fucking team.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

There's a reason the Bears players wanted Jones as their starting running back, not Benson, when they opened training camp last season. Guy produced and did everything the team asked him to do. Can't ask for more.

Suddenly, Rex Grossman might not be the guy with the most pressure to deliver in that backfield.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Benson will run for at least 1,300 next year.

At least.

For fuck's sake, if they are moving up, it ain't for Peterson.

11. I'll take the under on that.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, Benson has all the tools. He needs a bunch of carries, sometimes, to get going, but he has all the tools.

The Bears desperately need a quarterback and another receiver.

Draft saved Draft deleted