1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thomas Jones Traded to Jets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I hope so but note the almost half the carries came in last 2 years. I understand that at end of last year he was really banged up going into Super Bowl.

It could work out like the Pats Cory Dillon signing. I am sure that was not lost on Mangini.

All and all seems like a great deal for the Jets

2. lono

lono Active Member

Ugh. There's a visual I hope never to see. Clayton, that is. No offense, 21.

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Jones is a beast. One of the toughest backs in the league.

The Bears are screwed.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think I speak for Bears fans everywhere when I say

What. The. Fuck?

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Exactly what I was thinking.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I've never gotten Thomas Jones completely. It was obvious that he was gone from Chicago, but if I was thinking about trading for him, I'd have gone back and forth in my head on it. I remember watching this one preseason game after the Bucs picked him up from the Cards (what a horrible draft pick he was), and the guy looked like the second-coming of Marshall Faulk. Quick, shifty, an extra gear when he got into the secondary, and catching the ball out of the backfield like a receiver. Then the season started, and he wasn't starting and there were way too many moments that he just looked disinterested. I'd just be wary. The Bears were a good situation for him. The Jets might be a great situation, because with the short passing game, and with Leon Washington as their sparkplug, they may not rely on Jones to carry a huge load. The Jets offensive line made great strides last year (especially when it came to pass protection, but they are pretty good at run blocking). They can totally make Jones if they are as good as they started to look. But the last two seasons have given Jones this rep as a workhorse, and I just have trouble thinking of him that way. He's not a grind-it-out kind of runner. He runs tentatively sometimes and sometimes just doesn't hit the hole when that's what's needed. I don't want to put it in terms of his heart--I don't know enough about how much heart he has to make that kind of slam against the guy. But like I said, I'd be wary. Does anyone else see what I am saying?

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I can offer a simple angle to this. Look at the Pats, the Bears, the Chiefs, and the Cowboys. Corey Dillon has proved that he's a good runningback, but Belichick drafted Maroney, gave him the $$$ for the sole purpose of being the featured back. Dillon decides to bolt.

Tony Romo was and is the future of the Cowboys, not Bledsoe. He was only a short-term stop-gap until Romo was ready to be put in there. When the Chiefs drafted Larry Johnson, they were saying to Priest Holmes that he can't handle the physical pounding. Holmes proved them wrong and ran for 31 TD's. But LJ kept whining and bitching about being the featured back and when Priest went down, LJ was inserted in. We haven't seen Priest since then.

The same thing is happening in Chicago. Jones was already a durable running back when he was with Arizona. However, when Benson was drafted, management knew that Benson would start bitching about playing time. The thought process of guys being drafted is this: "I'm getting paid all of this jack and I'm not getting the rock? Fuck that. If the team doesn't let me start or play more than the guy ahead of me, I'll walk when my contract is up or ask for a trade."

Benson pretty much got what he wanted when the Bears were forced to either favor Jones or Benson. Jones didn't like the fact that he carried the team when Benson was hurt and all he's getting out of it was a slap in the face.

Expect Marshall Faulk, if he's fully healthy to go shopping for another team soon, now that it's apparent that Stephen Jackson is the man in St. Louis.

Call it being impatient, but some of these draft choices are not going to wait until week 8 or after one year on the bench waiting to be the featured back. They are getting paid like a start, and they demand to be on the field to be stars.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'd take Sammy Morris over Corey Dillon every day of the week at this point.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

good trade for jets. they didn't have a running back -- leon washington looks like a very good role player -- but jones is what he is: good, but not great. if i'm a jets fan, i'm not thinking, "we've got greatness now."

but there's no downside for them here. you get a starting back in exchange for swapping places in round 2? that's pretty darned sweet. 8) 8) 8)

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

As a Jets fan, I'm thinking that they now have a No. 1 running back. And that's going to make a world of difference should they make the playoffs this season.

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Keep dreamin', hockeybeat. :)

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

As a Bears fan who has watched most of their games since Benson was drafted, allow me to say this for 1,000th, and certainly not last, time:

Cedric Benson sucks. He has terrible vision, little speed, he's soft and he cannot read blitzes. The people who thought he should have received the bulk of carries were only saying so because they were fantasy nerds with stat boners, and stupid, bad fantasy players at that. Benson sucks, and now that it's his show, people will soon realize that the Bears have spent a three high draft picks on running backs since Neal Anderson had to retire, and struck out three times (Salaam, Ennis, Benson).

Jones' problem was he could never convince anyone, even his own coach, that he deserved to be a feature back, even though he was always consistently better than the guy he was splitting time with. It happened in Arizona, Tampa and then Chicago. He deserved better.

Draft saved Draft deleted