1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thomas Friedman. Wow.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by D-Backs Hack, Nov 3, 2006.

1. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

If the Bushies have lost Friedman ("The next six months will tell the tale in Iraq," every six months), then they've lost . . .

http://select.nytimes.com/2006/11/03/opinion/03friedman.html?pagewanted=print

A great column, Tom, but never, ever, forget: You, the rest of the punditocracy and the shit-for-brains Washington press corps let the last six years happen.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I used to love Tom Friedman.

And I still think he's a talented writer and a solid thinker.

But you're right, a lot of this is on him. His biggest fans consider themselves independents and moderates, and he bought the story and sold it better than the administration did.

He'll have to live with that, I guess.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Typical liberal media Bush bashing.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

5. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Pretty hard column to refute.

Especially coming from a guy who tried to give Team Bush every benefit of the doubt.

He taps into a lot of the things I've been thinking over the past few years.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

ATYPICAL.
    Well written, logical, factually supported, passion restrained by intellect.Definite Page2 material

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm sort of ashamed to admit that Friedman made me believe in the Iraq war because of Longitudes and Attitudes. I'm not sure you can overstate how many people he managed to get on board for this boondoggle. It's a good column, and he's absolutely right, it's just two years too late.

I think the most damning part, for me, is about how Rove is not a man who has ever made any attempt to unite the country around ideas for renewal in the 21st century. Instead, he sold just enough cigarettes to win. That may be this administrations biggest failure, when it's all over. They've turned all of us into cynics. Instead of finding our common ground, all we do is squabble over our differences.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Even when I disagreed with him, I've always been a huge fan of Thomas Friedman---going back to his book "From Beirut to Jerusalem" to his "World is Flat" and his NYT columns.

This column is bang on.

I wonder how Fredo's Fellow Travellers around here will refute it.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Like the chimpmeister, he's far too arrogant and stubborn to ever concede that he was misguided about anything.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He has admitted his error in judgement in the past. Which is why he is a grown up, unlike the post adolecent cheerleader in chief

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The mustache of truth at last recants.

12. No, it's a pretty easy column to refute. But you morons can't see that.

Draft saved Draft deleted