1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thom Brennaman, welcome to the unemployment line

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 19, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

All of the above.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

My best guess: everyone involved here was in shock. Absolute shock. I guess there was some length of time between his comments and the apology? That says to me his producers, his bosses, the Reds, everyone, were like, “Holy #$&@, did that just really happen? WTF!?!”

I’d imagine the Brennaman name on Reds’ broadcasts adds to the enormity of the situation, from a local perspective.

My Rio situation is not completely analogous to this, but there are similarities in the sense that everyone is coming to grips in real time with what has happened. You want to slow things down and make proper decisions, handle this the way it should be handled — but social media is going batshit and you feel like you’re driving 225 mph through S curves. Time is your enemy, not your friend.

If Brennaman doesn’t check social media (or his phone) during games, he might not have any clue that his words went over the airwaves.

That’s the only way to explain what Brennaman said — even calling the home run. I remember the aftermath of my mistake. I was totally shaken, frightened for my career. It’s the only time that’s ever happened to me. It’s hard to describe, but you see the end coming. You have only one choice: to throw yourself on the mercy of the crowd. He didn’t do that, instead calling for people who know him to defend him. He’s realizing the severity, he’s seeing what’s about to become of his life.

It’s easy to second-guess now, but he (or someone helping him, because he’s in shock) should have written an apology that accepted blame in no uncertain terms, apologizing first to the community he offended. But I’m guessing that didn’t happen, because everyone’s stunned.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I wondered how realistic of a possibility this was. In my very limited TV experience the truck was in your ear when you came back.

maumann likes this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm shocked he hasn't been fired yet. Regardless of the lame apology.

Due respect to the broadcasters on the board, here's the thing: in the grand scheme, talking on radio or television just isn't that hard. It's hard to be good at it, certainly. Charming, informative, funny, charismatic, whatever. But the basic premise - that you're going to sit in a chair and speak aloud - is much easier than being a farmer or firefighter or hod carrier or warehouse fulfillment runner, etc., etc., ad inf.

And when you work live - ie, sports or news - they're paying you to get Martin Luther King Jr's name right once a year and not swear or speak slurs into a hot mic.

That's it. That's the job.

Don't know him, never met him, never listened to him call a game. But they should have fired this guy last night. What is there to investigate or corroborate? What possible argument can he make on his own behalf?

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't think it is about an investigation or corroboration. He said what he said and it's a shitstorm now.

It's that the Brennaman name is royalty in Cincy b/c of his dad and the decades he was the voice of the team. Tom Brennaman himself isn't just a throwaway local play by play guy, either. He has a national profile because of his CFB work on Fox. He also moved there to do games with his dad at the end. It's hard to fire something like that when you had no plans for something like this.

If his name was anything except Brennaman, I'd agree with you, but he put them into a difficult spot. I am sure they are frozen, trying to buy time to see if there is a way out of it. And they likely are going to find there isn't.

6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Went to school with him. Shocked, shocked I say, that the president of the Betas would be a bigot of any sort.

SFIND likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Understood.

Still gotta fire him.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

As pointed out earlier, Reds probably need time to go through his contract to make sure everything is on point before actually firing him. There's no way he survives this, may just take a day.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He can just say he was talking about fag capital of the world because everyone smokes there.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So noted. (Although if I'm the Reds, I'd have lawyered all this last night.)

The morals clause in every broadcast contract is usually sufficient to fire someone for cause if they bring the organization into "public disrepute."

Presumably Mr. Brennaman has done so.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
  11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I despise the “that’s not me” Defense. Who was it then Satan? Out you go you closet homophobe. Just admit it. He’s my age, yeah he knew what he was saying.

HanSenSE and OscarMadison like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted