1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thom Brennaman, welcome to the unemployment line

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Aug 19, 2020.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

He's claiming that this is the first time he had ever used that term in his life, and it just so happened that it was when his mic was hot. Dumb luck that.

He deserves to be fired for insulting everyone's intelligence with that story.

matt_garth and wicked like this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And don't let the door hit you in your ass as you leave.

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

hope the mob is happy now where am i supposed to go for alternate points of view of keeping politics out of sports welcome to the outkick family tony bruno

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Waiting in line at any Taco Bell in the country between midnight and 5am will provide you with same balanced opinions as all sports and political talk radio. It’s all sourced the same.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Hey, there’s no diversity of opinion! Bigots can’t have a megaphone!

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think it's a stretch to say Tony Bruno is a bigot, though I don't know the guy. But when you're an older white guy and your shtick is being that old white guy and bashing young athletes, and often young black athletes, your leash is not long. At all. If you caught the full rant that Bruno was on, he was rehashing the photos that are out there of LeBron reading books where he's always on the first page or inside-front cover. I think there's four such pictures and it really is pretty funny. But you have to be self-aware enough to know that as an old white guy, you can't turn that into a punchline of "NBA players can't read." Not in 2020.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Good.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The drive-time sports radio guy here who tweeted out the N-word instead of Nuggets was back on the air within a couple of days.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I get it. Fuck Bruno for not being smart enough to be smart about criticizing and for being tone death and idiotic in that criticism. They can’t read is patently stupid, it’s like saying the Earth is flat. Only the most dimwitted and ignorant fools would say it. And after that nothing they say makes any difference. After Bruno’s idiotic statement no one should sponsor him.

But other media creations have Said equally disturbing things without a similar sanction which makes this about the speaker and not the speech.

playthrough likes this.
  10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

https://nypost.com/2020/09/08/should-thom-brennaman-be-forgiven-for-gay-slur/

“If he used it then, he used it before,” (Cincinnati LGBTQ activist Ryan) Messer said. But “if we don’t open the dialogue to help explain (the meaning behind the word), how do we learn and grow from it? And that’s where my whole perspective comes, and I’m willing to make sure he understands that, which is why he is coming to my house Saturday to meet my family, my husband and four kids.”

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

One of my former towns just had two people booted from the Chamber of Commerce for sharing a sexist meme (full disclosure, one was a woman). Their defense was "it was shared as a joke" and "it was on a private page." Some of their friends are up in arms that the chamber booted them for that, but it really comes down to why did you think sharing anything on the internet was "private" and why does "private" make it OK? It obviously wasn't if it got out.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted