1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This'll cure your fumble-itis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by alleyallen, Sep 7, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

A high school coach in East Texas is employing a rather unique way to cure his team of fumble-itis after the squad dropped the ball five times in their opening game.

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_250001728.html?keyword=topstory

Neat stuff here.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good high school sports story. That's the kind of stuff to look for.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It's actually the paper where I was AME for about four years.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Cool story, though the "baby the ball" tactic doesn't seem particularly original.

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

As John Heisman said, holding a football and addressing his team, "Better to die young boy than to fumble this.''

6. hiredguy

hiredguy Member

They did this in The Program

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Nick Saban (I seem to be posting a lot about him these days) gave Alley Broussard, then a freshman TB, the "baby" treatment in 2003 after he fumbled twice late in a blowout LSU victory at Arizona.

8. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I hear that HS also encourages kids to lay down one the middle stripe in traffic.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

This is an old ritual, but a good one. Humbling, but a smart mental thing.

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I like it. But it'd be a lot better if they superglued it to their hands.

Just kidding. Nice work by the coach. A team that I covered could have used this a couple of years ago. Player of the year fumbled three times in a state playoff.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

This is a very old, and effective, technique. In "Instant Replay," Jerry Kramer writes about Vince Lombardi having rookie Travis Williams cart the ball wherever he went -- including cradling it as he slept -- to solve his fumbling problems. It worked well enough for Williams to have one of the most electrifying seasons for a kick returner ever, the 1967 Super Bowl season.

Unfortunately, there was no equivalent to solve all the other personal problems Williams had after he retired.

12. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

My high school coach made me do the same thing.

That was 31 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted