1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This year's Verlander & Weaver?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Apr 17, 2007.

?

Who will be the next rookie stud in the Majors this year?

1. Tim Lincecum (SF)

14 vote(s)
    31.1%
  2. Yovani Gallardo (MIL)

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Homer Bailey (CIN)

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Phil Hughes (NYY)

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Matt Garza (MIN)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  6. Adam Miller (CLE)

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  7. Andrew Miller (DET)

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  8. Luke Hochevar (KC)

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  9. Tom "Oz's stalking victim" Gorzelanny

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. Alex, can I have almost completely useless KU trivia for $500?

2. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Why did Gorzelanny leave Kansas for Triton Junior College? That doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

3. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Well, to answer my own question, it appears that Mr. Gorzelanny isn't the brightest tool in the shed. He has ADD. He dropped a class at Kansas, and that made him ineligible. So he left school and spent a year pitching for scouts while playing at Triton. Not a bad story if he makes a big name for himself. Any other big ADD athletes out there?

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Makes sense. Thought that odd myself when I looked up his profile.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Thanks. I really had no idea who he was or who he played for. The Tribe could use some more pitching.

6. To be fair, just because he has ADD doesn't mean he isn't bright. It likely means he has trouble keeping his focus.

I have no idea what his background is, other than to know he went to KU for at least some time. (We Jayhawks have to keep tabs on each other.)

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Oz, I'm disappointed in you. Your own first baseman, Adam LaRoche, has the disorder. Man, pick-offs with those guys will be interesting! :D

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh man that's funny.

"Another error on the pickoff play. That's six today on LaRoche. The Cubs have 19 stolen bases as Gorzelanny can't seem to decide if he wants to throw to first or home."

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You have outdated stats on Owings.... and he's hurt.

10. Before you all start jerking off on your Lincecum jerseys, recall that his pitch counts at UW were in the Kerry Wood range. He was >120 four times as a junior. He was allowed to go 165 in one start.

Good luck with that shoulder, Tim.

My vote: Yovani Gallardo.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Maybe Gallardo will be what the Brew had hoped Tyrone Hill would.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oz didn't have outdated stats at the time he posted it. Owings pitched tonight.

And "he's hurt" makes it sound a little more serious than it probably is. He was going to get taken out in the next inning anyway, having thrown 76 pitches in 4 innings. He tweaked a hamstring going first to third, so Melvin took him out then instead.

At any rate, if Owings sticks around after Randy Johnson returns -- and with the way he's pitched, there's no reason to believe that he won't -- I would definitely add him to the list here.

Draft saved Draft deleted