1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This wouldn't fly

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by greenlantern, Apr 13, 2008.

1. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

From WTFV.com

"The teen accused of masterminding a videotaped "animalistic" attack against a fellow teenage classmate is out on bond, and she has celebrity talk show host Dr. Phil McGraw to thank for it, according to a bail bondsman.

"The bondsman told media gathered at a Polk County jail Friday that Dr. Phil posted Mercedes Nichols' $30,000 bond.

"When Nichols was released from jail, a man arrived and idenfitied himself as a Dr. Phil producer and ordered local media to leave the area because the Dr. Phil Show had exclusive rights to the story, according to reporters on scene.

"The man refused to comment about why Dr. Phil would help someone accused of such a violent crime leave jail, and he would not confirm if Dr. Phil paid for her bond."

I think that's the point when I tell the Dr. Phil producer to go fuck himself.

2. jps

jps Active Member

Yeah ... he could have exclusive rights to my boot up his ass.

3. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

There's been an update to this story: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351022,00.html

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

semen capsules.

5. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

You're a weird dude.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if you only knew.

7. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Signs of the Apocolypse

8. I wasn't shocked by the first story but I am completely shocked that they are now backing away from the story. Why would they even pretend to have ethics? Not having ethics never seemed to bother these shows before.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think the Dr. Phil show is being, at best, half-honest here.

It hires freelance crews to shoot stuff like this, and thus has relatively little knowledge or direction in how they go about their business. So as for the guy trying to block everyone else from shooting it, Dr. Phil's hands are conceivably relatively clean.

However...

There is absolutely no way on earth the freelance crew bailed the kid out without getting approval and the money from Dr. Phil's producers. It's absurd for the show to even suggest that.

10. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

It could be worse, TV types. Just found this in the Henderson (Ky.) Gleaner ...

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2008/apr/11/tv-station-takeover-try-thwarted/?gleaner=1/

---

TV STATION TAKEOVER TRY THWARTED

A Henderson County man was jailed Wednesday after allegedly side-swiping a vehicle on the parkway, apparently in a hurry to complete a mission -- the takeover of WEHT-TV News 25.

City police arrested Melvin W. Harris Jr., 25, 8700 block of Birk City Road, on charges of first-degree wanton endangerment, driving under the influence, leaving the scene of an accident, possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.
    According to Henderson Police Lt. Frank Cates, calls regarding Harris began rolling in around 10:30 a.m.

Initially, Cates said, dispatchers were receiving reports of a blue van traveling northbound on the Pennyrile/Breathitt Parkway at a high rate of speed and in an erratic manner. The reports were that the van had side-swiped at least one vehicle and was passing others on the shoulder of the road. No one was injured.

A short time later, another call was fielded through Henderson County Dispatch.

"The next call was from Channel 25 that someone was in the foyer, saying this was his building and he wanted everyone out of it," Cates said. "He wanted it evacuated."

The person in the foyer was later identified as Harris -- also the alleged driver of the blue van, Cates said.

When officers approached Harris, he allegedly became combative.

After he was taken into custody, a quantity of marijuana and drug paraphernalia were found on his person, Cates said.

Harris was lodged at the Henderson County Detention Center.

---

Wonder if this dude has any interest in taking over a newspaper?

Draft saved Draft deleted