1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This will never happen in baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Oh, it's plenty unfair.

Let's say you sign a good contract with the NYT. After two successful years--much praise on SJ, stories in BASW, winning APSE's--the Times comes to you and says, "Well, because of hard financial realities, we're going to have to let you go." And you have no recourse, other than to try to hustle up a job in a very exclusive and tough marketplace. Tell me how fair that is.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

I did not say it's unfair.
    It is however, patently stupid to report that a player signed a 6-year contract when we know anything beyond the first year is not guaranteed.
    Therefore, it is a one-year contract with the rest at the whim of management.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Why should I change my name? He's the one that sucks.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And the players and their agents know it is exactly that, spnited, which was my point.

And hockeybeat, there are very significant differences between that and your scenario -- the level of money involved. That bonus and two years of base pay at the NYT isn't going to set me up for life. The NFL player in that scenario is set for life (unless he spends like an idiot). If it's not the kind of deal that sets him for life, the team isn't going to be cutting him for cap reasons anyway.

Also, a reporter or writer's career is much longer than an NFL player's career, so that also changes the dynamic.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

But the pay, OOP....grrr!

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

With that roster bonus in the bank -- the one the NFL cannot take back, even if I run a criminal enterprise -- I am feeling comfortable going out on the free agent market.

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

It's not a cap casualty if a team decides a player isn't worth what he thinks he's worth.

If Faulk wanted $6 million per year and the Colts thought he was worth $5 mil and let him go, that's not a cap casualty. That's sound business.

And it won't ever happen in baseball, agreed.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Then the Twins are geniuses. They didn't think Santana was worth $150 million, so they traded him.

9. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I agree.

And they were smart to do it.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So you agree that it won't happen in baseball, and you agree that the Twins just did it with Santana?

11. OK, then count the number of times newspapers quote the "value" of the contract without pointing out that a huge part of it is utterly worthless.
    And this is the sport that most needs guaranteed money.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I believe he was talking about the initial point of this thread, that the team with the lowest payroll in baseball would never win the World Series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.