1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This will never happen in baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

They thought he was close to done (and they were right). And, he was nowhere close to Cabrera's age, he was 28.

Was not a cap casualty.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Edgerrin was a perfect example, as was Marshall Faulk before James.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I see where you're going with this. And I like it.

5. Flying Headbutt

Just saying.

6. Flying Headbutt

And incidentally, Joseph Addai could very well be the next example a few years from now.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You're crazy if you don't think they let him go because of the money it was going to take to re-sign him.

And, as someone else mentioned, Faulk is probably an even better example. He was 25 and coming off a season with 2,227 total yards and 10 TDs when the Colts let him go. The NFL version of Miguel Cabrera was axed because of the cap.

Thanks for playing.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Edgerrin was a well, well worn 28. Not even close to germane in the discussion.

Faulk wasn't solely because of money either.

His numbers to that point didn't justify the crazy numbers he had been yapping about to Colts management, and, frankly, the Colts felt very comfortable with Edge lined up in the draft nine years ago. There would be no competitive dropoff. Who is Cabrera's Edgerrin replacement who will hit .330 with 35 HRs this year?

Not even close to the same thing.

9. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

My take is this:

1. There's great disparity in baseball in terms of payroll.

2. There's no definitive proof that spending dollars is the best path to victory.

Read Moneyball. It's a good start. There are other reasons that some teams suck every year, and payroll isn't the only one.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Simon, I'm throwing out a non-partisan question here, so answer it honestly and do us all a favor....drop the insults in your response, ok?

Is it more likely that you're wrong and so many others on this matter are right? Or is it more likely that you have unlocked secret answers to the universe that somehow elude the rest of us?

11. Simon_Cowbell

Non-partisan? Puhhhhhhhhlease.

And here's a beaut... a finger-painted alteration of a post to set up a retort that is pure Johnny Carson:

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Fine Simon...I was asking a legit question and your only response is more derision? Good luck with that. I'm done with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.