1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This week's bizarre High School Basketball Score

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 6, 2014.

1. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

One of our area girls teams won 77-2 a few weeks back. Winning team is only mediocre, though that's a major improvement over the past few years. Losing team only got off four shots, with the points coming on a shot just inside the 3-point line with time winding down. Losing team is also a pretty new school and is in the process of joining the state athletic association.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In years past, schools 'starting from scratch' usually play only JV competition for a season or two before jumping into varsity play.

Of course, in the brave new world of instant charter schools and co- op homeschooling teams, the potential for galactic-class mismatches goes up . You have some charter schools run by bible-waving fancy-pants and others little more than fronts for all-star teams of AAU street ballers.

3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

This school in question is a science academy that's been around for only a few years, but looking to step up its athletic competition. It will be a slow process.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This was ridiculous beyond belief. The "winning" coach said he just lost control of things. No, this has been a pattern by looking at other scores of his team's games this season. He pulled this crap at the next-door town when he was there. He pressed the entire first half. The halftime score was 104-1. So he was pressing when it was 40-1. And 50-1. And 70-1. Oh, and 90-1. And for the hell of it, 100-1. Then backed off an only went to a halfcourt trap.

Noted: I know the AD at the winning school. And the losing school plays in the same league in which my brother is an AD at the school. Not hearing a lot back on what, if anything, happened in the aftermath of this abortion.

5. Starman

Pull. Your. Team. Off. The. Floor.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

That's touchy. Yes.....they don't deserve to get shit-housed like that. But by pulling your team off the floor, you're telling them it's OK to quit......but on the other side of the coin......they don't need to get humiliated like that....

I can see either side.

As an official.....we're running the clock.......league rules or state rules be damned.

7. Starman

If I were coaching again, and it got to the point where we were losing by 50, 60, 70, etc etc and the other team would not let up, I would pull the team off the court and say I did it to "Protect the safety of my players and eliminate the chance for serious injury" and double dog dare anybody (opponents, league honchos, AD-principal) to do or say anything about it.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

This weekend's halftime score: 47-9. Final: 87-28.

High school girls shooting 3-pointers in the second half? Coach being blasted for running up the score?

Nah, just the women's college game between No. 2 UConn and Southern Methodist.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

10. Starman

Nice. So now we have a fuckup coach who sends his team out to lose 161-2 making harrumphy snotty statements about 'playing the right way.'

A clue to the level of Bloomington's effort on the scoreboard: in the second half, they committed no (0) fouls.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Stupid fucks can't even spell San Bernardino correctly.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That's pretty bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted