1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This should make some heads explode

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lcjjdnh, May 10, 2011.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Lupica on Bill Simmons's podcast:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/player?id=6521475

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What's the hook?

3. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

I actually haven't listened to it yet. Just know they're not among the most loved writers on the board.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

If you'd titled the thread "Lupica on Simmons' podcast," web traffic here would have increased by a factor of 150,000.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The new owners must be disappointed.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I'm not going to listen to Lupica and/or Simmons on a podcast, just so I can say, "Piss on Lupica and/or Simmons."

Stop it.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Proper SJ style for the headline would call for the word to be spelled "asplodeeee." HTH.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

i actually listened to the entire thing and found it quite entertaining; i'm a sap for newspaper guys telling tales of their earliest days in the biz, 'cause guys like mike were not yet insufferable. heck, he practically describes himself as a wide-eyed kid in awe just to be around red holzman's knicks when he first landed in n.y.

but mike had to keep slapping me back down to earth by mentioning one of his boys or his wife every other minute. so what listeners have to look forward to in his daily one-hour radio show will be infinite references to the gems coming from his family members. AARRGGHH!! CHECK, PLEASE!!!

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The other night a young news-side guy was talking about the old Knicks and I offered to lend him Axthelm's book. He'd never heard of it. He said, "Hey, I'll trade you! I just finished Bill Simmons' book on basketball (from a couple years ago)." He looked astonished when I said that I don't want to read anything by that douchebag. It did come out a little harsher than I intended. He probably doesn't understand the visceral reaction from some sports veterans, and in fact I'm not even sure he knows I am a product of sports departments. He just seemed bewildered, as if he expected me to expand on that by saying Bill had poisoned my dog years ago or cut in front of me at the buffet table.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If I remember my pressbox etiquette correctly, that is grounds for getting shanked with a plastic fork.

Draft saved Draft deleted