1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This really isn't about a journalist, after all it's Katie Couric

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by printdust, Jul 30, 2010.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Don't watch her at all and tonight was an example of that...

A report that clearly showed that while Detroit is benefiting from a Ford plant getting an electric car contract, other jobs at a parts plant were being parceled out to Mexico and a report that followed was the continued stunting of the employment numbers.

So she asks the correspondent: "Is the negative reporting by some facets of the media keeping the economy from growing?"

Hey stupid...check the pocketbooks of regular Americans and get back to us. Words don't add up to dollars in the bank accounts.
    She's a joke, and her ratings show it.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What I get out of that report is that we can expect a decrease in illegal aliens because there will be more Ford jobs in Mexico, so you can enjoy that instead of rippin' on Katie.

3. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

It's a fair but too-simplistic question, inasmuch as a lot of people -- including some highly regarded economists -- believe the constant drumbeat of bad news is a self-perpetuating thing. To some degree, it probably does have some effect, but it's certainly not the reason why the economy is sucking eggs.

A better focus for your outrage would be the fact that the question probably was unleashed upon an ill-prepared correspondent who's simply covering a news story and not doing in-depth research into the effects of news coverage on the American public. If the correspondent miraculously was prepared, then it was an opportunity to say, "No, Katie, it's not."

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Of course the media plays a part in the economy. But the public, including myself, also believe a dollar is worth something, which it isn't since money is a psychological tool used to keep our civilization together.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

Not that Katie has seen a change in her pocketbook like the middle class she tries to get to watch her sorry ass, but she no doubt wants them to believe that the hated Fox News (her competition) is ruining the economy and sending jobs to Mexico.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You said it, brother.

Now, just think about how dumb someone would have to be to get outsmarted by her!

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Dumb question by Katie, especially since the media did its best to talk down the economy the whole time Bush was president.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sorry, must've missed that 6:30 newscast on Fox News.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

As far as I can recall, the only president Katie Couric has called to task is Bush 1. After this newscast I can be confident knowing she won't ever do that to the incumbent.

And let's be honest. Conservatives in significant numbers really aren't ever going to tune in to Couric except by accident.

10. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Nah. That would require actually doing some thinking, as well as deviating from the tired old playbook of bashing the so-called liberal media.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's not like CBS hasn't been laying people off and holding the line on raises.
    I've always wondered why you don't hear more reporting on how other country's economies are doing. You figure with a global economy, when one country starts picking up steam, all countries will improve.

12. printdust

printdust New Member

"So called liberal media."

I want your mind-altering drugs, Dave.

Katie Couric is the Liberal Media poster girl.

Draft saved Draft deleted