1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

this might be a repeat of a few years back, but MOST STUPID SPORTS CITY...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Apr 14, 2008.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

I'm going to have to think of this, but if we single out fans of specific sports franchises, I'd say Dallas-Fort Worth and the Texas Rangers. What they've tolerated at the expense of a ticket is astounding.

If we judge a city across lines of specific sports, the thinking gets deeper.

What's your thoughts?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Idiot Toronto Maple Leaf fans have to be up there too.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

This definitely has the potential to not end well.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

5. Grimace

Grimace Guest

New York and Boston, specifically Yankees fans and Red Sox fans. They're stupid because they don't know what a bunch of irritating pricks they are. Stupid fuckers.

6. printdust

printdust New Member

I'll throw out one in general: Memphis. Fucked an NFL pitch by saying they already had a stadium when that stadium had no luxury suites to speak of at the time and was willing to ride that stadium as was for the duration of the campaign; had a Pyramid that had huge cost overruns and should have been built as a football stadium rather than a limited use basketball arena that wasn't even sufficient for an NBA team (hence, the FedEx Forum). They've also been a sucker for nearly every Johnny-come-lately pro sports league (WFL, USFL, XFL), lost its CHL franchise to northern Mississippi, just across the state line from its city limits, and of course, knows what it's like to choke in the final two minutes of a national championship basketball game?

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Texas Rangers fans are like Cubs fans in that they keep on coming even when the product sucks. However, Cowboys and Mavs fans turned to empty seats when the teams were going through their gotterdammerungen in the late 80s (Cowboys) and early 90s (Mavs).

I presume we're talking about professional sports cities. I nominate Atlanta.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

What a silly question.

It's a tie: every city except for New York City.

Wasn't that covered in another thread?

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I thought that too.

But I'd say Los Angeles. The fact they haven't mustered up a desire for an NFL team shows the shallowness of that place, not to mention how stupid it makes the NFL look.

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Bangor, Maine.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

This brings up an interesting potential for threadjack...on the ever-popular topic of "correct" fanboyism.

What does a "good" fan do when his team sucks? Stick by them and continue to pay for expensive tickets, concessions and logo merchandise? Or go on a personal boycott? Does the reason for the suck have anything to do with one's choice- i.e., is the suck due to bad decisions, tight-fistedness or just bad luck?

What about when ownership does something offensive that has nothing to do with on-field matters? Speaking of the Rangers, I grew up a Rangers fan and when W owned the team...well...that was pretty hard to watch. My fanboyism for the Rangers has not recovered from the shame of having that douche in the front office.

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Oh now bullshit, Irish. They built the championship teams of the 90s under his ownership. He might have traded Sammy Sosa, but still.

Draft saved Draft deleted