1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This may be the worst job posting ever

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JR, Dec 12, 2012.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I know this is book publishing but it's a related business. And yes, it's from a British book publisher so the level of snottiness is over the top. Saw this in Salon today.

http://www.dalkeyarchive.com/aboutus/?fa=Employment

Here's my favourite part:

Any of the following will be grounds for immediate dismissal during the probationary period: coming in late or leaving early without prior permission; being unavailable at night or on the weekends; failing to meet any goals; giving unsolicited advice about how to run things; taking personal phone calls during work hours; gossiping; misusing company property, including surfing the internet while at work; submission of poorly written materials; creating an atmosphere of complaint or argument; failing to respond to emails in a timely way; not showing an interest in other aspects of publishing beyond editorial; making repeated mistakes; violating company policies. DO NOT APPLY if you have a work history containing any of the above.

Wankers.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Well, at least they're up front about what wankers they are. I wouldn't touch this job with a 10-foot pole even if it was in my town, but for those who apply, don't say they didn't warn you.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Why you gotta hate on a Job Creator?

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That used to be most of my workdays. And then I'd go to lunch.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

JR, you missed this part:

Crissakes, these guys make JRC look like an enlightened company.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Already sent my cover letter.

Code:
    Dear sirs:

Me so horny. Me love you long time. Fifteen dollar. Me sucky sucky.

Best
    Dixiehack

7. I love the fact the company is dependent on charity to survive. Plus, the positions of importance are personal assistant to the president and fundraiser.

No time for family when you're doing charitable work.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Excellent work, DH! :D

And from the bottom of the job posting:

Assume that you will begin to be evaluated as soon as your application arrives. And also assume that you will be one of the unpaid interns until you are ready to take on all the responsibilities of a position.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Is this position entry level?

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i think everyone of us should send them a resume tomorrow just to fuck with them.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"I've been here a year already. How long does this unpaid internship last?"

"You're not ready to take on all the responsibilities of the position."

"But I've been working 70, 80 hours a week. I haven't seen my family in six months and my girlfriend left me because I couldn't attend our own wedding! What responsibilities haven't I taken on?"

"You haven't tweeted yet."

12. Hey, if I tweet, I should be making $100k.

Draft saved Draft deleted