1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This kid should tell the NCAA to stick it.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drip

Drip Active Member

This is not right. The kid has to pay more than $11,000 before he can play collegiately. Yet when he's eligible, the school and the NCAA stand to make much more off of him.
    http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20100306/SPORTS030102/3060351/MSU+to+appeal+NCAA+s+suspension+of+prize+recruit

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'll never figure out why some things are okay to the NCAA (travelling teams, Findlay Prep, parents who "find great jobs" in the town that their son ends up playing in) and the stuff that isn't.

Anyone know what tuition is at MSU? I'm not weeping about him having to pay $11k.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The thing that I always find hypocritical is how the NCAA preaches about how "student-athletes" should not receive "extra benefits" that aren't available to the rest of the student population, yet, when an athlete is given something that could be given to the rest of the population (such as sneakers), the NCAA goes nuts.

In this story, I can understand if the NCAA is leery of a private foundation which used money to fund Sidney, and if the family did misappropriate funds, that should be handled by the criminal justice system.

But at the same time, the NCAA makes money hand over fist, and it's ridiculous how a kid cannot have a hamburger paid for, while the fat cats in charge are eating steak and lobster at five-star hotels.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

What were the $11k in benefits?

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

If he were my kid, and were that talented, I'd tell him to play in Europe and go pro instead of giving the NCAA pirates a dime.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Renardo Sidney is hardly the guy to weep for. USC wouldn't even touch him, that's how toxic his background was. And the $11K could have something to do with him moving out to L.A. to live with a handler during his recruitment. I mean, if the NCAA isn't going to do something about Renardo Sidney, there might as well not even be an NCAA. Which is an entirely different and worthwhile discussion, I suppose.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Granted the kid has a shaky past but MSU and the NCAA would raping this kid for far more than $11,000. Somehow forcing him to pay to play collegiately doesn't seem right.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Who is forcing him to play collegiately? He can go be a regular student and just go to school? He can play in Europe?

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It doesn't seem right that your opinion is based on a faulty premise.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Read the story. For him to play collegiately, he must repay more than $11,000. The school and the NCAA make a mint off these players. Nothing faulty about that premise.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Scary to think that you may reproduce.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Everything a confrontation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.