1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This just in: high heels not comfortable

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MartinEnigmatica, May 8, 2007.

1. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

I know there are some footwear aficionados on this board, so I had to post this lovely graphic. I'm not sure exactly why this is telling high heels wearers, except for a technical breakdown of their discomfort. Also, that you could get a ogre-ish bony growth near your big toe. Enjoy!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/graphic/2007/05/07/GR2007050700484.html

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Everyone needs to have feet like that.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

The growth in the bone does happen. Most women who wear heels have that enlarged bone, but unless the heels are not broken in, it is not noticed. If I wear a new pair of shoes, that's the first place that gets agitated.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Two things I have done regularly--maybe 4-5 times a week--for a very very long time: running, and wearing very high heels.

Without hesitation, 99% of any physical pain or suffering I have ever experienced has been the result of running, not high heels.

Wearing high heels well is an art form...some people can hit a fastball, some can draw portraits, some can wear heels.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

It didn't show the key effects on the body heels have: They make your calves and ass look fantastic.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

In that spirit, the Babe Ruth of the high heel:

[​IMG]

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

And that is why I shall wear them until my doctor makes me stop.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Interestingly, although I used to occasionally wear heels, it was my podiatrist who recommended that I not only wear heels, but that I wear high ones, and wear them as much as possible. I have very severe plantar fasciitis. High heels are the only kind of shoes that don't hurt my feet. Seriously. I don't have any weird growths or bunions. And yes, it is possible to find comfortable super high heels.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

1. I'm tall enough that I don't need the extra height. (I've been forbidden to wear them by my SIL-to-be in my brother's upcoming wedding, which I am a bridesmaid.)

2. I've worn them once since blowing my ankle out 20 years ago. Just once.

3. More power to the rest of my female SportsJournalists.commers, but I will never, ever willingly wear heels as long as I live. For me, heels are a whole new definition of pain.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

There's a "NSFW in the SportsJournalists.com of the 50s" joke in here somewhere.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

OK, I'll do it ... TTIUWOP. ;)

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Yes! I can walk 70 blocks in heels, no problem....but in flats, my feet will stay sore for days.

As for what heels do for your body: They push your ass up, your hips forward, lengthen your legs, make you put your shoulders back, and force you to walk very deliberately.

Of course, if your body won't cooperate with the physics of heels, you end up looking like a hermit crab. Worth mentioning.

Draft saved Draft deleted