1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This just arrived in the mail ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sic semper tyrannis, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Rick Reilly's latest

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5288738

I think he has a few posts on the Orange slice / anti-soccer thread

2. mb

mb Active Member

Wow. He's really not even trying anymore, is he?

3. CR19

CR19 Member

I have a book of Reilly's old stuff, and he used to be pretty good. I can't believe how far he has fallen as a sports writer.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He gave up The Mag column for that?

We could have a Rick Reilly parody writing contest, people could enter their best efforts, maybe throw in a few actual Reilly offerings and I doubt people couldn't tell the difference.

5. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

He just recycled every soccer bit he's ever done, and borrowed comments on the vuvuzelas to make it "relevant". Not a single piece about the actual 2010 World Cup.

Weak.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ricardo Reilletti of Sporta Italia:
    (translated to English)
    What's up with this Super Bowl? I don't see what's so super about it.
    It's called football, but nobody cares about the kicker.
    You've got a bunch of fat guys that can't run for more than 10 seconds without stopping.
    And what's with all the pads? I haven't seen that much padding since I got to second base with Violeta Muzzi in the seventh grade!
    And then there is the halftime show. What kind of crypt did they raid to get these acts? Prince? The Stones? Springsteen? The Who? I guess the Grateful Dead can be grateful for being dead - though I doubt that would stop the NFL from trotting their rotting bones out for three songs.

7. CR19

CR19 Member

At least our version of the Super Bowl doesn't involve the vuvuzela. Reilly (I mean Reilleti) couldn't complain about the horns in our version of football. I guess that shows Reilly had one original thought in his column, a thought that was divided into several reasons.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Jesus, Reilly is just terrible now.

9. smsu_scribe

smsu_scribe Guest

Good god. At what point do the ESPN big wigs reject this garbage and send him back to the drawing board?

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Without the vuvuzelas, a whole lot of World Cup-disinterested-but-have-to-write-World Cup sportswriters would be completely lost.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

All I hear while I read that piece of garbage is an old man's walker wheels squeeking.

12. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Wow. Is it possible someone told him to write a World Cup column and this is his way of saying FU? Surely we all know one of those guys -- there's one in every newsroom -- who half-asses the stuff he hates so that it's just bad enough for him never to get assigned to it again. Hate those guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted