1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This job is hard enough ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ColbertNation, Mar 23, 2007.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

So our boys all-state results were to be released this week. The coaches meeting was last Saturday. We called the coach who was representing our area. He wasn't home, but we left a message asking him to call us back and let us know the results. On Wednesday, we see the results in one of our competitors' papers. Frustrated, I call the coach, and get his machine again (this time I don't leave a message because I don't want to say something I'll regret). Instead, I call the AD, who tells me he hasn't heard anything from his coach about the list. At this point, I'm relegated to calling our competitor and having them e-mail us the list, which makes us look ghetto on so many levels -- one, for running it the day after they do and two, having to call another paper to get results because our coach didn't call us. The only thing I can think of is that he didn't have any kids on first or second team and just one who made honorable mention.
    This is the same coach who, on more than one occasion, has refused to talk to us after his team loses. This job really is hard enough without coaches making it more difficult.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Sometimes a coach needs a swift kick in the ass. It certainly isn't encouraged every time there's a problem. But sometimes it's what needs to happen.
    I had an A.D. talking down to me. He always did. And finally, I just lost it and went off on his ass.
    Now, I'm sure he hates me as much as I can't stand his bitch-ass, but our working relationship is 10 times

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

So, you couldn't have called a coach from out of your area? You couldn't have found out if one coach was designated to put out the list to all of the papers in the State?
    Yes, coaches make the job of covering high school sports a lot more difficult than it has to be but calling only one coach, leaving one message, not calling him again for 3 days and then bitching that he didn't do his job is the equivalent of not doing your job.

4. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Yeah, I have to agree.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A bullet between the eyes.

Hate to dump on you colbert, but when I don't hear back from a prep coach soon I assume that I may not hear back for a long while and I quickly try to find a way to get what I need without waiting on a return call.

It may be calling someone else. It may be driving down to the school and getting the guy in person if he is the only one to talk to.

I really hate when writers or stringers who have a generous deadline come back the day a story is due and say they are sorry, they left a message and the coach never called them back.

I feel like strangling the writer more than the coach.

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Take it as a learning experience. But like Ace and other said, you have to get the results somehow.
    All-state shouldn't be as hard as other stuff. In our state (Texas) tha majority of the all-state moves on the wire, so it's easy. But other that don't have wesbites (coaches associations, etc) that will put them out. If you know it's coming up, get in touch with the coach/association, etc... who is putting it out and get your name on their e-mail list.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Better to have the story and make happy the parents in the area than to look ghetto to a fellow newspaper when it really doesn't matter all that much in the long run anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted