1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is why our line of work is a piece of S***

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fourth and 8, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Fourth and 8

Fourth and 8 Member

And these coaches are spoiled. We've given intense game coverage. Now, the thought is, they'll say screw it.

I hate a situation where we need them more than they need us, but the more we cut, the more that becomes reality. And, the more irrelevant newspapers become. But the brains in charge can't see that.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

You might try sending the third guy out still and asking coaches to e-mail or leave messages with what they'd usually call in with. Just a thought to try to weaken the crappy blow.

3. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

people in my area would rather more game coverage than features. they like features, but they like gamers more.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It just seems that all of your resources seem to be going into either covering games or taking calls on games.

5. jboy

jboy Guest

Roundups!

We were in the same situation and we started doing longer, more written out roundups. (Yes, you're relying on coaches, sigh). We sent a photographer out every night, and we tried to get him to shoot two games. Maybe an afternoon softball and an early evening baseball game.

Suprisingly, people were happy. Just get a mention of Johnny Highscorer, a photo (spread them around the schools) and make sure you have coaches' cell phones to get scores.

It sucked and it was definitely half-assing, and your "writers" are reduced to three-graf desk monkeys, but you do what you got to do.

Also make it very clear to your boss/ME/whoever: We will not be able to do the same job we did before. There will be sacrifices in quality and content. That's the price you pay, fuck stick.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

That's how I'd approach it. Cover the important games and roundup the rest.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

Major metros do not staff two-plus spring prep events a night. Even if they did, much of that coverage would be online-only. This might be an opportunity to assess what makes the section, print and online, remain relevant. If there are 20-25 calls a night, then even the game staffed would not reach a large percentage of potential readership. If you're worried about names, think notebooks, columns, roundups and more interactive ideas.

8. Fourth and 8

Fourth and 8 Member

The coach I've already reached is one who is bitching that they have to do anything. And just think - he's a soccer coach of a team that hasn't come close to any substantial glory in a city with softball and track success.

What's also laughable about this stuff is that some of these spring games have no more than 25 people in the stands. And they want to be equal in treatment to football.

9. jboy

jboy Guest

Run a team photo and roster of every team in your area. Put the results in agate.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Don't waste energy worrying about which coaches don't help you in whatever new plan you put in place. They'll come around. And if they don't, some of the most satisfying phone calls are the ones where parents say "why don't you cover my little Johnny at Southside?" and you get to say "because Southside coach won't cooperate with us, take it up with him." Click.

11. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

You'll have to do less with less.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I'd do two things:

Give the soccer coach your boss's email address and let him take it up with him. And, No. 2, I'd remind the guy that he coaches fuckin' soccer.

Draft saved Draft deleted