1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Is Why Newspapers Will Fail

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 26, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

As we've seen a whole pissload of times, that doesn't matter anymore.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Somebody buy Reporter 2 a drink on me.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Seriously. It doesn't matter who you are or what you've accomplished. If you are in the wrong job at the wrong time, you're screwed.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

But remember, the publisher makes the most money because it's important to attract the best people possible to that position.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

That's exactly what my wife said, or thereabouts.

"Pete, you hated your last boss and since we moved here all you've been saying is how the newspaper industry is dying and you need to get out. You're never going to leave on your own because you love writing and reporting too much; you need to be pushed out. So, consider this your push."

Those were her exact words. The more I hear them in my head and type them on here, she's right.

6. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

And then there's this: http://rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/26/rocky-mountain-news-closes-friday-final-edition/

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not that newspapers aren't failing. But if stupid publishers were the reason, we'd have been out of business long ago.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Damn. I am speechless.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't even ask who will do it. If an editor or publisher doesn't think it's important to find out who blogs or shoots video, I'm not going to worry about who does it.

11. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

I've thought about that quite a bit myself lately.

12. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Sounds like I've worked for that publisher in all of my previous jobs.

These are the same people that want to cut, cut, cut and raise the price of a dumbed-down product. Then they wonder why circulation fell - again.

I feel like I'm in a bad Twilight Zone episode. The people making the decisions that will determine the future of our jobs and industry are so disconnected it's absolutely disgusting.

How about instead of more layoffs, unpaid time off and travel cuts for the worker bees, let's make the CEOs, board members, publishers, suits, etc., start forfeiting their bonuses to help cover the "losses" from planned profit-margin deficits? No more country clubs or other perks either.

Draft saved Draft deleted