1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is why I started reading Bill Simmons in the first place...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 93Devil, Nov 20, 2008.

1. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

She was definitely a wonder of a woman.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Lauren Tewes

[​IMG]

Loren Toews

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Loren Toews, strangely enough, is pronounced Taves.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Funny thing is, it wasn't Lauren Tewes, it was Darleen Carr of Streets of San Francisco in the video.
    Perhaps the greatest BNS team ever assembled: 1979 CBS team: Jamie Farr (captain), Catherine Bach, Valerie Bertinelli, Patrick Duffy, Lou Ferrigno, Leif Garrett, Victoria Principal, Gary Sandy.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Can't wait until he does a running diary of that epic tug of war starring Epstein of Welcome Back Kotter.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Epstein had the greatest afro of the '70s, better than even Dr. J's.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Bernie of Room 222 disagrees.

8. Sit your honky ass down, chump.
    [​IMG]

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Bernie is impressive. But I found another guy who beats him.....and would beat him - legendary hockey cementhead Bill (Goldie) Goldthorpe:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Simmons' friday column on homefield advantage, or lack thereof, in the NFL was pretty good. Rather than just throw some records out and get some random quotes from players and coaches, he bolstered it with real research.

11. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Looks like he needs to be kicked [/crossthread]

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

If you're REALLY into something on TV, you'll remember it -- even at that age.

Even though I was five, I still remember vivid details of the 1980 World Series broadcast on NBC (along with the ALCS on ABC -- the nuns in my kindergarten wheeled in a TV for Game 1 in the afternoon). Yet now that I know the backstory, it's even funnier to have the 1980 games on DVD in my own collection. Seeing Billy Martin unable to say anything nice about Larry Gura on the broadcast, for example.

Also, in 1976, there were only three channels for most of the population, if you were lucky, you had a fourth that showed cartoons before and after school and Tic Tac Toe at night.

Draft saved Draft deleted