1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is why I started reading Bill Simmons in the first place...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 93Devil, Nov 20, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yes.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Definitely in my top 5 brunettes. As I've said before, blue-eyed or green-eyed brunettes just knock me out.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I watched a lot of TV when I was kid. I don't remember shit from when I was 7.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I remember falling asleep on the couch at age 7 while my parents watched Dallas. I know I wasn't making social commentary ("You know, above all else this show is a testament to alcoholism. How many bourbon & branches does this family put away every night?).

Though in Simmons' defense, I don't think he was really presenting the story like it was what he was thinking in '76.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Coincidentally, I was also born in September 1969. I distinctly remember those shows and especially the race between Conrad and Kaplan.

6. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Bob Conrad.. man of 18-inch long legs.

7. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Ahh haaa Different Strokes . . . I get it.

Now that was an elbow slapper.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I was born in October 1968, making me 11 months older than Simmons, and I watched all of those shows.

Doubt I'll write about the experience as one of the highlights of my childhood any time soon, but that's just me ...

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Oh man, that brought back some good memories. One highlight was the dunk tank (for obvious reasons).
    What Simmons failed to include was that Conrad issued an official challenge to set up round two.
    I don't know why they stopped doing these. It would be a hell of a way to have all four networks showcase their new shows actors at the start of a season.
    Have Kenny Mayne host the thing thing with Sarah Silverman. Hell, who wouldn't want to see Katherine Heigel, Jenna Fischer, Marg Helgenberger or Jodi Lynn O'Keefe running around in shorts.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I know someone will call bullshit on this, but don't, because it's true - I was born in January 1970 and I distinctly remember watching "Ponderosa," which is what they called "Bonanza" reruns to differentiate them from the first-run episodes which were still being produced at the time. "Bonanza" ended in 1973, meaning I was three or even younger.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No bullshit here, JJ. I was 5 years old for the 1987 MLB All-Star Game, which my parents taped for me on the VCR. I watched that tape so much in the ensuing year that I still have very detailed memories of the game (even if I am the only one who cares. :D)

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You remember details of a baseball game from age 5? I'm shocked, buckw.

I had you pegged for 18 mos.

Draft saved Draft deleted