1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is why I started reading Bill Simmons in the first place...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 93Devil, Nov 20, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3712343

"Director of competition Howard Katz, who would parlay this gig into a job running ESPN and ABC Sports, assesses a two-second penalty to NBC and awards the race to ABC as future A-list directors Penny Marshall and Ron Howard celebrate a bit too exuberantly."

For a 30-something, this is just a golden column. If he screwed up a detail or two, sigh, so be it, but I still loved this column.

2. 93Devil

Simmons gets crushed on here a ton, and for good reason many times. But when he does something that I think is good, it deserves noting as well.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Battle of the Network Stars = good. Why?

4. 93Devil

It's funny.

It reminds me of when I was 10 and watching TV on a Friday night.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I think this is where those crazy kids would roll their eyes and say, ``Whatever, dude.''

6. I remember when I was 10 and watching TV.
    I don't think the world necessarily needs to know about it, at length, 40 years later.
    Different strokes, I guess.

7. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Battle of the Network Stars ruled. Thirty years later, it's a bit of nostalgia. It's campy, 1970s stuff. What's wrong witht that?

One of those 20-somethings watched some youtube clips, courtesy of Simmons, and thought it was great.

8. 93Devil

I like pop culture writing, and Kaplan dusting the battery idiot is just one of those great moments that makes the 70s the 70s.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's a temptation.

But we resist it.

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Hey, it's free (unless you specifically order ESPN the Magazine, and if so, you deserve what's coming to you) and it's a breezy read, so I don't care when he does it, but I thought this was the definition of cashing it in. He's talked about Battle of the Network stars probably a dozen times in the past seven years. Save it for VH1.

11. 93Devil

And now that I think about Kaplan and his current poker prowess, Conrad going "all in" with the challenge was perfect.

Mr. Kotter was holding pocket aces the entire time.

Draft saved Draft deleted