1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'This is what it's like to grow up in the age of likes, lols and longing'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 26, 2016.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Nah. It's bad. Internet addiction is bad. We don't even appreciate how bad it is yet. Give it 30 years.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Replace iPhone with SJ.com and you've written an article about several of the posters here.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

IMO, being on call 24/7 makes one less effective cumulatively in any role. Any role.

Human on demand is ruinous over time.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Eh, I just like to shoot the shit with people about stuff.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Another thing we wring our hands over is kids' activities being so structured.

But if we didn't ahve our kids in sports and music and such, the concern is that they would be fiddling with their phone, playing video games or loitering outside the 7-11 (Wait. That last was me.)

Putting them in structured activities at least keeps them unplugged for a while.

6. Dick Whitman

Yeah, Huck Finn isn't walking through that door.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

We're all in it for the likes.

HanSenSE and Ace like this.
  8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Nah, I want barbershop folk talkin' 'bout my posts. Or at least Mike Wilbon.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The one constant throughout time has been that every human being thinks every other human being is doing it wrong.

And "kids today" suck. Always.

So much hand-wringing over what, in the long run, amounts to very little overall difference between generations.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Regardless of how you feel about the issues, it's a great example of immersion journalism and great storytelling. That Contrera hints at the mom stuff early and doesn't give it away, that the piece shows you a lot without lecturing, that the ending is so moving yet we never find out what happens, is a credit to her and her editors. I think this might be as good as Susan Orleans piece about "The American Male at age 10."

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You think Internet addiction among kids is bad now, wait until Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality takes over in the next few years; you'll have 12 year-olds locking themselves in their bedrooms for days on end, doing everything you ever feared.

12. Dick Whitman

OK. But sometimes human beings actually do fuck things up. Just because war protesters were wrong about WWII doesn't mean they were wrong about Vietnam. And just because people were wrong about the devil's music doesn't make them wrong about this.

FileNotFound likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted