1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is what happens when you dump copy editors:

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I was reading my weekly print version of Sports Illustrated when I came upon the preview for the Atlanta Braves.

In the story was a discussion over the different players that the Braves were 'rumored' to be acquiring, only they didn't. One of which was San Diego Padres pitcher Jake Peavy.

Peavy was mentioned five times in the story. FOUR (count 'em, four) of the five times, Peavy's name was spelled PEAVEY.

Look. We all make mistakes. God knows, I've made my share. But come on. That story, to me, should be Exhibit A whenever some beancounter decides to cut more jobs.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am fairly certain the only regret the beancounters would feel over that error is that ink was wasted on unnecessary letters.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Andrew McCutchen's name was spelled "McCutcheon" in a cutline as well.

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

i saw the peavey stuff last night when i was reading SI. oddly it was spelled right once in between wrong ones.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's the other thing. Obviously, someone knew how it was spelled, unless they thought they missed spelling his name correctly one time, rather than four times.

6. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

In the Nationals' preview, they also misspelled Jordan Zimmermann's name in every instance.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I am fairly certain there were misspellings in the first newspaper ever printed.

8. frogscribe

frogscribe Member

Man, you are old (hee hee).

9. hankschu

hankschu Member

In my 10th-grade English class, I wrote a killer paper on "A Separate Peace." Only I misspelled it "seperate" 12 times. The teacher wrote "A" on top of my paper, then scratched that out and wrote "B" with a comment with a comment on misspelling the title. I was pissed, but I'll tell you what: I haven't misspelled that word since.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like your 10th grade English teacher.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

One n?

Haven't read it yet.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Draft saved Draft deleted