1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is the country we live in...and I am ashamed of a story like this.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Alma, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

A total guess: $140K/year combined. For NYC, that's good, not astronomical. (neither is a journalist)

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Sorry, I know this was three pages and about 12 hours ago, but I missed how/why Alma feels ashamed ...

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Because Colin Cowherd wants to nail Posh Spice.

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

tell that to the Japanese, who saw real estate values plunge 80% in the 1990s.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Why are you ashamed of the market? Why are you even ashamed of the people who engage in these transactions?

Fuck 'em. The more they spend beyond their means, the more likely I am to one day buy their house in foreclosure. Spend away, suckers.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Of course, this thread started with a story about how much parking spots cost in Manhattan. And Yawn turns it into "no one in NYC drives so no one there gives a shit about gas prices."

Brilliant as always.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

My Country Tis of Thee,

*sniff*

Sweet Land of Liberty...

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Especially when gas is close to $3 a gallon in the NYC.

Oh, and Yawn, I know plenty of city-dwellers who drive.

Please don't try again.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I looked down from my hotel room there multiple times and saw plenty of cabs. I'm saying the vast majority of people there use mass transit....and if you don't have to go to the pump often, it would seem logical you don't give a shit as much as the guy in the burbs who is traveling 55 miles to the nearest work....and in NYC, yes, there are some of those who take the subway to a parking lot then drive a few miles home.

But the elitists who control the messages live in those swank Manhattan apartments and are cashing in on big oil.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

If there are "elitists who control the messages," they don't care about the price of gas because they are rich, not because of where they live. They probably burn more feul on their rides to the Vineyard or the Hamptons than most people do in their cars a year.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Because some people in America have a lot of money.
    The horror.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

This must explain why stories about gas prices are on the NBC Nightly News about four times per week.
    Wait.
    No, it doesn't, does it?

Draft saved Draft deleted