1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is the country we live in...and I am ashamed of a story like this.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Alma, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Something none of us will ever be able to afford. Be grateful.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I just looked at a house earlier today. It had 2,100 square feet on the main level with a finished basement and two-car garage to boot.

Sale price of the house, which is at least 10 times as big as a parking space, was $179,000.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why in blue hell is there a $50 per month maintenance fee for a parking spot? WTF do they spend $50 per month on? The paint for the stripes isn't that expensive.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Only in New York. Seriously.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Quick Google search shows a spot in Knightsbridge, England going for around $150,000 and one in Tokyo renting for $400/month.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

In all fairness... When I drive home and I have heavy things and more stuff than I can carry, I am screwed. Parking is really tight around here, so I can't just pull right in front of my building and unload. If I try to park, often I will end up having to walk a few blocks, which means carrying more weight than I can handle for several blocks or making 10 trips back and forth to the car That can mean spending an hour unloading and getting the stuff upstairs. It's the kind of annoying shit a lot of people who live in other places don't consider. For example, I like to do my grocery shopping at this large 40,000 square foot supermarket that is unlike any place in NYC. It is in an industrial, but gentrifying area on the Southern tip of Brooklyn in a converted pre-civil war warehouse that had been abandoned right on the water across from the Statue of Liberty. I have to drive there. It has the freshest produce you can get around here and every kind of specialty food you can imagine and great prices for NYC. I save a ton by going there once a week and eat really well. It means driving. When I get back home with bags and bags of heavy groceries, I can't just park the car in the driveway and bring the stuff in. I have to park illegally--and the closest place to do that without blocking traffic is a bit of a walk to my building. Then I have to make several trips back and forth, lugging the groceries. Then I have to get back in the car and park it legally. It's a pain.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Alma, why are you ashamed?

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

It's an investment that almost certainly will not depreciate. You add the cost to your mortgage, pay it down the same way you pay for your home, with the same benefits and deductions. It's real estate, you buy it as such.

If they hadn't used the suburban mom with the modelling kids--wink wink, here's a stupid thing for shallow people--this would have been a better story.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Did you read the story?

"The market" fucks people up. That's my only conclusion at this point. That this is reasonable is merely proof of how unreasonable the system that produces this "reasonable" situation is.

Hey, the joke's on us. We live in a more interconnected, online world than ever - surely there isn't a company in Manhattan that doesn't have the latest, best, fanciest computer technology - and yet it is necessary to shove a bunch of cars into that area every day. We want to put on our tombstone "I sold my parking space for $225,000" we can now.

10. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Hell, there was a story in New York magazine a year or so ago what sort of real estate you could buy in the city for $1 mill. My favorite was the condo in Manhattan...that was below ground level. I don't know how the ordinary folks over there make it.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's all relative.

Houses in Toronto that routinely sold for $500,000 three years ago are now climbing up to the $1,000,000 range. And some of these are "fixer uppers".

Bungalows in my area are $350-$400k. Two bedroom bungalows!

Anyway, if you can afford a pied a terre in Manhattan. whats a couple of hundred grand for a parking spot?

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Can NYC handle the increased auto traffic?

Draft saved Draft deleted