1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is the best the Cubs could get.........

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Oct 16, 2006.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

F-U-C-K. I would have
    [​IMG]

as the pitching coaches, then to have Rothschild in that dugout one more game.

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Because they're the Cubs?

Would the Yanks take a lame-arm Kerry Wood and some farm prospects? Do the Cubs even have farm prospects?

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

If someone knows how to get back copies of the free Cubs program distributed outside Wrigley Field on game days and pokes fun at the Cubs throughout, email me. I was there over the summer and got so into the program I quit watching the game, enjoying the laugh.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

sorry.. Cubbies can;t have them until football season is over at Michigan State,,,

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I dunno, seems to me Piniella is hitting the retread portion of his managerial career.

Then again, people said the same about Torre when he went to the Yankees and that worked out just fine.

6. LazyReporter

LazyReporter Member

So let me get this straight.

Tribue, which owns the Cubs, is slashing jobs company-wide, but can afford to take on a salary like A-Rod's?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2628823

You could pay 250 journalists $100,000 each with the same $25,000,000 a year that A-Rod makes.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

suburbia, thanks for mentioning that little ditty. Giants fans never forgave Dusty for handing that stiff the ball to start Game 7.

Lazy, from what ESPN (TV) is saying that Lou wants to bring A-Rod here. But, can the Trib dish out ungodly amount of jack to bring this curse to Clark and Addison? I don't want A-Rod. The sumbitch may cost us a chance in the playoffs by just standing around with the black cat and the goat.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Happens all the time. Madison Square Garden was firing real working people at the same time they were buying gifts for Patrick Ewing Night. Tell a single mother making $18,000 she doesn't fit in the budget, but spend $100,000 on a trinket for a multi-millionaire.

Nobody ever said the world made sense.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Rangers are already paying the bulk of A-Rod's salary and I wouldn't be surprised if the Yanks pick up a portion as well just to get rid of him, regardless of where he goes.

He could potentially not be the highest-paid Cub in terms of money the Trib actually spends on his salary.

10. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Where ever A-Rod goes, the Yanks would almost have to pick up a huge chunk of his remaining contract by default. The Cubs have a couple young power arms in their pen plus a decent hitting catcher in Jake Fox (24 y.o.) down at Double-A West Tenn. Include that with Aramis Ramirez and that's probably the best-case scenario for the Yankees, plus they're dealing out of the AL so any smidgen of a chance that he comes back to hurt them is gone.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

For ARod, the Cubbies would probably have to give up Felix Pie.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Tigers hired a retread who already had won a World Series title as a manager and look how badly that turned out.

Draft saved Draft deleted