1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is the best the Cubs could get.........

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Oct 16, 2006.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You know who they really should get, maybe permanently...?

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

Murray, Bill.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Piniella makes sense, only in that you want a hardass on the heels of a country-club operator
    like Busty Daker.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Piniella: "I like to win."

Lyons: "Then why did you go to the Cubs?"

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I don't know that Pinella is necessarily a bad hire.

Hiring Pinella and upping payroll to $115 million supposedly sends a signal that they're serious about getting out of the ditch as quickly as possible.

Of course given the fact the same idiots will be making personnel decisions this year doesn't mean they'll spend the extra money wisely. If a $95 million team can lose 96 games imagine how many games $115 million team could lose.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

PinIella. P-i-n-i-e-l-l-a. Lou Piniella.

Thank you. Carry on.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Piniella inherited a mess in Seattle and left with the Mariners as one of the best teams in the AL. They played hard, fundamental baseball, and won 116 games one year despite traveling more than any team in the majors, I believe.

I think his handling of pitching is sometimes suspect. But if he hires Bryan Price, who worked wonders with that staff but was released by subsequent managers, and lets him work instead of meddling (and if his staff can every stay healthy) this could be a nice move.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'd much rather have Piniella than Girardi.
    I get the feeling that Girardi, in a major market with rabid fans, would self-destruct in a few months.

9. Armchair_QB

Rothschild has worked with him before. My fear is that Lou brings him back to Chicago.

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

11. Armchair_QB

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Wait a minute, doesn't that sound a lot like Dusty pre-Cubs? improved with the Giants every year for like eight seasons, despite questionable handling of the pitchers?

Draft saved Draft deleted