1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is pretty funny: annoying Facebook people

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

How about paranoid guy who links every Internet hoax to his wall and announces the world is going to end every other month? I'm in a spat with a dude right now who insists this Nibiru thing is real.

There's also my Aunt Yvonne who falls for every story about Facebook. She always has screaming questions on her wall: "IS FACEBOOK SHUTTING DOWN??"

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

At least.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Criticizing someone for what he or she posts on Facebook is the online equivalent of criticizing how someone decorates his or her living room. Or worse: How someone raises his or her children.

Remember, folks: There's always the Unfriend link or the Report/Block option.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Also, revisiting this point: It's such a cool thing to say, right? "Serves those self-centered fucks right!"

Except ... the only people who can see the check-ins are people they are friends with, either on Foursquare or FB. So if you have friends who are willing to rob you, then you're already losing at life.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Hey, a laid-off journalist gotta eat, right?

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Not all of those people are your "friends." No one has 500 friends. You have 20-25 fucks you talk to, and the rest are like a hood ornament: They look nice but serve no real purpose.

And tell me one benefit of "checking in," other than to scream "Look at me?" A guy I went to high school with "checked In" to his bedroom with his ex-cheerleader girlfriend. Really? We need to know this?

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Everything on FB is about "look at me." "Look at the link I found." "Here's my inspirational statement for the day." Picking on 'checking in' when it just means "i'm here" vs. posting on a message board (I mean, you're already on the message board, so what's the point in posting except to gratify yourself, right?) just seems ridiculous.

And "friends" I just meant people you "know." And I stand by my statement. If you're "friends" with someone who would rob you, then you suck at life.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I just posted three more pix of Ella, if anyone wants to be amused. Or annoyed.
    OK, back to work for a while

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Better than my niece posting pics of some guy at a Renaissance festival signing her boobs.

10. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I check in whenever I am doing something that I would consider somewhat exciting. Like recently when we were car shopping for my daughter's first new car as a grown up.

Or at a Texans game. Or when I'm scrapbooking. Watching the Texans and scrapbooking are really my only two hobbies and I always check in when I'm doing those things. Anything else outside of the ordinary, and yeah, I check in.

11. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

I'm a check-in person. Not at McDonald's or "my bedroom" or whatnot. But restaurants and pubs and other out-of-the-ordinary spots, for sure. I've received free appetizers, beers and desserts at places just for taking the time to check in. It may be "look at me," but like IJAG said, all Facebook is is "look at me." And if "look at me" gets me free stuff, then I'm OK with that.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'll check in if I try a new restaurant and like it, so maybe friends will want to eat there as well.

Other than that, no one need to know where I am.

Draft saved Draft deleted