1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Is Not America

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

George W. Bush gives diversity hiring a bad name, dammit.

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

That's the thing. I read a Washington Post article about a FISA judge who said he never turned down a request in all his years. He even mentioned pulling over in his car on a cell phone to approve a request right after 9/11.

So why do they do it? My guess is because they don't want anyone to know what they're doing. They leave absolutely no trail behind. And that's scary.

Now, maybe it really is nothing more than the usual monitoring of suspicious targets that none of us would disagree with. Or...maybe they're watching me right now! But by circumventing the FISA court it brings up all these questions and fuels the fire of conspiracy nuts.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Exactly my point, right there. Well said. What's odd is that the reason people supply when supporting this surveillance ... namely that if you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about ... could definitely be used AGAINST the government as well.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Giving this administration carte blanche to monitor anyone they suspect of being a terrorist is like giving a fat kid the keys to the candy store.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The supporters of this administration claim that with advances in technology and the way things happen so quickly the time it takes to get a warrant from the FISA court could be time they don't have.
    And hey, we haven't been attacked since 9-11, so they must be doing something right.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That one may need the blue font.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

One of these days I'll learn how to use it.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's good stuff, but I'm afraid hondo and Yawn will use it as their signature.

9. AA --
    The whole point of this -- and of telecom immunity -- is to cover up what these idiots have been doing under the cover of the "war" on terror. There are crimes of which we are not aware. I guarantee you they wiretapped the political opposition simply because it WAS the political opposition. That's why they're fighting as hard as they are.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Isn't the whole point of listening in to these conversations so that you don't get caught by surprise? And for that matter, do we really think that terrorists who are gonna detonate the dirty bomb tomorrow are gonna be talking about it on the phone?

11. From Talking Points Memo?

Enough said.

12. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Evidently not enough for you:

Draft saved Draft deleted