1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Is How You Write A Column

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yes.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

But how?

3. Let's think.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Quickly, now.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Layered thinking and crisp eloquence. Hard style to pull off, and he does it well.

6. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

I'll help!

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Amazing stuff.

One of the most terrible things about depression is the stigma attached to it. Admitting that something is wrong, something we can't control, is a very scary prospect for someone who already feels badly enough about being such a "disappointment" to loved ones, friends and colleagues.

Even the acknowledgement is a two-step process -- fessing up to yourself, then to others. You imagine that you'll be looked upon as even more of a burden. You fear the reactions of people like me; I also used to scoff at people with depression, believing they just weren't trying hard enough.

But I was no less harsh or critical when I looked inward. I can't tell you how many times I would silently punish myself for failing to do whatever it was that I should have been doing -- why can't you get this done? why are you screwing up like this? you know better than this - what's wrong with you?

I got lucky, though. I have a supportive family, great friends and a proactive doctor who have all urged me to take whatever steps I need to take in order to turn my life around. And I'm determined to do so. I'm not all the way back, not yet, but I know it's not going to happen overnight. I'm working on it a little bit at a time.

I sincerely hope that more people who are or may be suffering from depression will read Chris Rose's wonderful column and seek treatment. Life is worth living, friends, believe me.

Draft saved Draft deleted