1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is how it's done

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moland Spring, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

People can say what they want about Ricky Bragg. He's not for everyone, and he's had some issues. But damn, this is good...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/specials/preview/2007/08/21/saban0827/index.html

On a side note, anyone know what he's doing now full time and why SI doesn't just hire him?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Thanks for stopping by, Ricky.

3. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Yes, I am him. Seriously. Got the Pulitzer hanging on my ceiling and everything. I swear.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Why the ceiling?

5. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Yes, I'd tend to guess that Rick Bragg doesn't need to post self-fellating messages on an anonymous message board for sports writers.

"His name was Paul Bryant, and he was popular here. They named an animal after him."

Great stuff. Definitely BASW worthy. And I'm guessing he reported it himself.

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

A few points from the Rockbottom Corner ...

Rick Bragg's story is indeed fantastic.

Moland Spring is NOT Rick Bragg. Though he certainly LOVES any comparison to a Pulitzer winner. And Moland would hang ANY award he gets from the ceiling, as it would invariably make him look taller.

Bragg is teaching at the University's journalism school, and writing books in addition to this unexpected SI cameo.

rb

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

A couple of really nice turns in there, but one I didn't get: "paid him enough money to burn a wet dog."

I don't understand the phrase at all and it also seems like a bad time to talk about burning dogs.

Some great stuff in there, though (I, too, liked "they named an animal after him").

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That was an awesome piece of writing.

It also gave me a new sig line.

9. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

it's an adage. enough money to burn a wet mule is another.
    i could be wrong but i know that it takes a long time for a wet dog to dry. hence, if you have a lot of money, you could fire it up until you burn that wet dog.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good piece, but I still hate Nick Saban.

11. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

Good story.

I met Bragg once at the University. He's, uh, a different kind of cat, but was pleasant to chat with.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Paul Finebaum just took SI to task on his radio show for not disclosing Bragg's standing as a member of the faculty at the University of Alabama.

Draft saved Draft deleted