1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"This is Ghost Rider requesting a flyby"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 20, 2011.

1. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Creosote? *Sniff* You stink.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

When you think of Cruise and McGillis, it makes Kenny Loggins' "highway to the danger zone" lyric make a lot more sense.

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

4. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

The defense department regrets to inform you that your sons are dead because they were stupid.

5. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

It has faded considerably.

At this point, I'd usually add something about it still being better than 95 percent of new movies, but people here sometimes start screaming if any assessment of modern film/TV is critical in the slightest fashion.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Ah, memories. My stepfather used to enjoy inviting friends over, firing up the Hi-Fi VHS and four Bose 901s with the sound of the F-15s blasting on the aircraft carrier.

That, much like the film, was a Cheap Trick.

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I believe I've said this before, but as it turned out, Goose was the lucky one after eating the canopy upon his ejection. He didn't have to stick around for the rest of the movie.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

When I saw the thread title I expected to read they were doing a remake so I guess this isn't as bad as it could have been.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The volleyball scene ... now with extra gay!

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Great, he's probably saying "holy shit it's Maverick and Goose"
    Yeah, I'm sure he's saying that.

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Top Gun 2 is supposedly in the works. I cringe at the thought and plan to see it at midnight at the same time.

I used to watch Top Gun every single day when I was a kid. I would get grounded not from cartoons, toys or inviting friends over, but specifically from watching Top Gun. As I grew older, the dirty jokes started making more sense and I grew to like it even more. I watched the tape we had so many times, I still, after dozens more viewings in the last 10 years, am surprised when the movie's sound doesn't get messed up in certain spots where it always would on that crappy tape.

Great movie? I'm sure it wasn't and isn't. But does it hold up? It's still ridiculously cool with big characters, hilariously cheesy lines and sweet fighter jets. It was never great drama, but, to me at least, has always been a ton of fun to watch. And if I can make it to one of these showings, I damn sure will.

Anyone that talks shit on Top Gun can consider themselves uninvited to my birthday party.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Sure the jets look cool to a guy who flys a doghouse...

Draft saved Draft deleted