1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is freaking awesome

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Mar 15, 2013.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I know plenty of parents who have taken cell phones away from their kids for various reasons, particularly abusing the privilege aspect (minutes/data/appropriateness of communication), and, conversely, few who consider it off limits in the parental toolbox. However, you do need to take into consideration why you provided the phone in the first place. I wanted my kids to be able to reach me quickly, if needed.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That might be what you tell yourself, but the practical reason is societal pressure.

3. cranberry

Societal pressure to do what? I don't understand what you're saying. The issue never came up with my kids, so I never needed to consider it.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He died while traveling in a van with a couple of other wrestlers on their way to a show up in Newfoundland. The van went off the road and into a lake because the driver was swerving to avoid a moose in the road.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If it were 2000, when few kids had cell phones but they were available, would yours have them?

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

That's at least as much economics as societal pressure.

7. cranberry

Yes. Not because of societal pressure but for our peace of mind. At 12, she was beginning to spend more time away from home at various activities and events. We handed her one before she ever asked for one.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

OK. That's an interesting take. Did you give her carte blache on use?

9. cranberry

Yes, carte blanche. But she's probably a really bad example for this thread. My daughter was extremely mature and responsible by the time she reached 12, so it never even crossed my mind to instruct her as to how her cell phone should be used.

10. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Well, be careful, then. My parents bought into my being mature and intelligent and thoughtful and I met every expectation they ever had of me. But accordingly I did a lot of things that were either ill-advised or illegal. And I did it all without a cell phone or the internet.

But, hey, I'm not in jail, I'm a writer. So everyone got disappointed in the end, woo.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted