1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is freaking awesome

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Mar 15, 2013.

1. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

The timing of this, along with the Portman story, is a little...uhh...suspicious?

2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Portman is from Ohio. Maybe this was staged by the same people as Kent State. [/crossthread]

::)

3. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

I wish I had crazy-good photoshop skills so I could photoshop a picture of her standing over Portman's son, with Portman's face on her body.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Growing up with all brothers & going to all boy Catholic schools from 1st through 12th grades stunted my social growth as it relates to women.

But, yeah, having no privacy made the prospect of talking to a girl on the phone even more terrifying than it already was.

Back then, we were envious of families that had a second line. A couple of kids had actual phones in their bedrooms, but that was pretty rare.

Now, every kid has a cell phone, and girls don't even expect you to call. You can flirt, or set up dates via text. That's not terrifying.

And, I know it stresses my brothers and sisters-in-law that they can't act as gatekeepers in the way that our parents could.

God, we had to ask some poor girl's mother if we could talk to her daughter. Kids don't have to deal with that anymore.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This will (or at least should) be the one time the boy doesn't mind that dad was listening.

Kind of makes me think that a good newspaper or mag story could be reactions of parents when their kids come out -- if that story hasn't been done already on a large scale.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Ha. We had four boys and a girl (all within six years, good Irish Catholics that we were) and one landline -- in the kitchen. A parent always answered the telephone. I had more awkward telephone conversations with Mrs. Fradella than with her daughter.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Cranberry is Danny Noonan

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Kids today are stunted, just in different ways. They're so used to using mediated forms of communication that they're not as good at asking a girl out by calling her or asking her in person. And the chances that something gets misconstrued is much easier online, which is how you have relationships that aren't really relationships to one side of the equation, and lots of general confusion.

Also, this may come as a surprise since I'm a good bit younger, but I had a similar situation to you. I went to Catcholic school grades K-12 and had three older siblings and one phone line. I didn't get a cell phone until I was in college. We did have dial-up so I could use AIM, but that would end up being annoying because I'd get kicked off when someone needed to make a call. Also, the computer was in my parents' bedroom, which also had a TV so there were often siblings in there and they could easily look over my shoulder.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Your brother knows the same about you, but does not know which name goes with which one

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Which of you is adopted?

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Except Danny had a better golf game.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

IMHO, if you give your kids the same privacy that say you would give your parents or siblings living in your house? You're not being a very good parent.

Draft saved Draft deleted