1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is disheartening:

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Recently, The Washington Post unearthed a great nugget about bin Laden.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/27/AR2006082700687.html

2. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Yeah, because those eight years of peace and prosperity were HORRIBLE. God, how I'd hate to go back to a budget surplus, $1-a-gallon gas, respectability throughout the world and decent average wages. What a mistake all that was.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

But ... but ... the man got a blowjob from an intern!

4. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

And who the fuck cares what the rest of the world thinks of us? Shit, it's not like we actually have to work with other countries or anything.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

And another 9/11 from eight years of neglect. What a legacy!

And as an aside, please tell me how the economy was the result of Clinton and the Dems. Please, please, please tell me that.
    Here are the Dow Jones averages for the Clinton years.

Jan. 21, 1993 3,256
    Jan. 21, 1995 3,861
    You'll note that in two years with Clinton and a Democrat House and Senate the Dow crawled up by 600 points in two years.

Then, after the 1994 elections, the GOP took over the House and the Senate in Jan. 1995. Notice a trend?
    Jan. 21 1996 5,395
    Jan. 21 1997 6,813
    Jan. 21 1998 7,906
    Jan. 21, 1999 9,358
    Jan. 21, 2000 10,940

With a GOP House and Senate from 1995-2000, over a five-year span, the Dow went up twice as much EACH YEAR as it did in two years with a Dem House and Senate from 1993-1995.

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

That's a terribly broad generalization there, Tony. But then, you're rather good at those.

This issue has come up numerous times here and it has been answered every time. I'm not gonna go back and find all that shit again, so I'll give you the short answer.

The plan to fix the economy was initiated by Bush Sr. Clinton, despite a huge uproar from the Dems, not only continued that plan, but actually expanded it. It was a bi-partisan effort that was blasted by the guy's party. But he did it anyway. And it continued to work until 2001, when that plan was shafted by the current idiot in charge.

Oh, that reminds me, try naming one major bi-partisan action the Shrub has taken part in. Take all the time you need.

7. old_tony

Except that it didn't. The economy was already in recession by the time Bush took over. From Jan. 2000 to Jan. 2001 (Clinton still in office) the Dow actually went down from 10,940 to 10,587. Eight months into Bush's presidency came 9/11 and a major crushing effect on the economy.

So what we end up having is that Clinton campaigned in 1992 on "The worst economy in 50 years" when it had actually been growing through all of 1992 but the media refused to report the trends. Then Bush II inherited a recession in 2001 (again, that the media refused to report in hopes it could sneak Algore into office) that the Dems continually lied about and even claimed that when Bush noted the flagging economy that he was causing the economy to suffer because of his negative comments. I laughed pretty hard at that one.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Tell us, tony. Do you like any Democrats, politicians or otherwise, or are we all just a bunch of draft dodgin' commie pinkos?

9. Joe Lieberman, Harold Ford, Richard M. Daley, Barack Obama. Respected Paul Wellstone, even if I agreed with nothing he said.

Can we see the list of Republicans you like, Doc?

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Assuming we're keeping my list to living Republicans, then: John McCain, George Pataki, Colin Powell, Alphonse D'Amato, Fred Thompson, Howard Baker and Mitt Romney.

EDIT: And I'm still waiting for an answer from tony.

11. Well, it doesn't look like he's online, but I hope he'll respond with at least a few Dems. Heck, some of my best friends resemble them. :)

12. old_tony

Well, Doc, I like a lot of Democrats. I like Joe Lieberman. I like the local sheriff, a black conservative but also a democrat who today will face a primary challenge from a real nutcase that the local dem establishment is behind. Said sheriff also ran for mayor a couple of years ago and would have had my vote except for the fact that I no longer am living in the city limits.

Nationally, other than Lieberman (and I couldn't agree with many of his votes, but he's a very honest man) I can't see many I like. Much like Islam has been hijacked by nuts, the Democrat party has been hijacked by a far-left cabal of nuts. Pelosi, Reid, "Leave 'er drowning" Teddy, Algore, Feingold, Murtha. All nuts who are either incredibly wrong about major issues or are so disingenuous that they are only saying the things they say for effect.

I used to think that the right was driven crazy by Clinton. It's nothing compared to how crazy the left has been driven in its hatred for Bush.

Dog wants me to name a bi-partisan thing by Bush. Well how about spending more money than ever before on the education bill (way more than the right wanted), inviting "Leave 'er drowing" Teddy to the WH for the signing of the bill and then having Teddy immediately turn around and rail on Bush for not spending enough on education?

At the same time, name one time Pelosi, Reid, etc. ever extended their hands and tried to work with the President.

He has more blacks in high positions of power in his administration than any President ever before, and the NAACP rails on him and Kanye West tells a national audience on a Hurricane Katrina telethon on NBC that Bush "hates blacks."

Bush tried to bring bipartisanship to Washington. The left spit in his face.

But, to answer your question, I like plenty of democrats. You and I disagree on politics, but I wouldn't hesitate to invite you to have a beer if we lived closer. I used to be a lot more active on political forums (Faded Glory and Right Minds are two I'm still active on under the name "right is right"). And I respect a lot of folks from the left I've had debates with.

I note how on another thread you said you found it entertaining how I always think I'm right. In that same vein, I find it entertaining how if I say any thing that goes against a DNC talking point, six people immediately rise up screaming as though I just shit in the punch bowl. I believe in less government.

(Psst. Here's a secret: I think Bush has spent way too much on a lot of crap government shouldn't be involved in. I'm not happy with him for a lot of reasons like that.)

But one thing government should be doing is national defense. The war on terror and the war in Iraq both qualify in my mind, and for different reasons. Anyway, I spend too much time here and have to get some stories done. Have a great night.

EDIT: Yes, add Harold Ford, Daley and Obama to my list, too. Bill Richardson is also someone I could vote for. I wish Henry "Scoop" Jackson was still around.

Draft saved Draft deleted