1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is disheartening:

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Sep 9, 2006.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

We know where he is. We'll have his head on a platter about 6-8 weeks before the next election. At this point it's all a fucking game. Posturing this. Lies that. We know where he is. We probably have him and everything we've seen during the last year or two is wag-the-dog footage to dupe us into believing he's like Saga (read: on the loose).

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

That was December 2001. Only two months later, Bush decided to pull out most of the special operations troops and their CIA counterparts in the paramilitary division that were leading the hunt for bin Laden in Afghanistan to prepare for war in Iraq, said Flynt L. Leverett, then an expert on the Middle East at the National Security Council.

"I was appalled when I learned about it," said Leverett, who has become an outspoken critic of the administration's counterterrorism policy. "I don't know of anyone who thought it was a good idea. It's very likely that bin Laden would be dead or in American custody if we hadn't done that."

Several officers confirmed that the number of special operations troops was reduced in March 2001.

An error that has no business being in an advance article of this importance.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

If we knew where he was, why not capture him, say, November 1st, 2004....catch him right on the eve of the election and Bush gets another 5-7% of the vote and captures a few more states? People keep trotting that out, but if we knew where he was, we'd nab him....it would help Bush politically and would be a key moment in our fight against terrorism (the significance would be more symbolic than operational, but it would be seminal, nonetheless).

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I hate to say it but HH is right (nothing personal, just different politics). Us Bush-hating bastards (George, not Sophia) have been waiting for OBL's head to show up right before an election and it hasn't happened yet.

Just chalk it up to ineptitude, like everything else the last six years.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not to argue with you Xan, but that theory has been bandied about before, particularly before the 2004 election. It wasn't true then and I doubt it's true now.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Maybe catching him is not important as it was a few years ago.

He's a sick old man. Maybe the most important thing is now is to get the higher-ups.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if we caught the worthless piece of shit. But he's more of a figurehead now.

9. Jesus.
    Let us suppose that the bin Laden tape in question was obtained along about the time this one was.
    http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/12/13/tape.transcript/

OK, let's then suppose that the troops were pulled out on or about March 1.
    77 days.

Of course, if the OBL tape was obtained on or about December 30, then we're talking about 60 days or, as it is sometimes referred to, two months.
    Oh, and the obvious typo.
    Yes, an egregious error.
    No wonder people don't trust journalists.
    I want his sorry ass in the NYC courtroom and then in Pelican Bay.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

By criticizing the Bush administration for not having gotten OBL to this point, and for not knowing where he is, you open the door to the criticism that the Clinton administration did know where he was -- several times -- and didn't take the chance to capture or kill him.

Can't have it both ways, much as you would like. But you'll still try.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Maybe, just maybe, we're better off with him alive and in a Pakistani cave rather than alive and in a CIA prison in Thailand or Cuba or dead in Crawford, Texas.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted