1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is a legal basketball shot that I could never, ever make

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Mar 26, 2009.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Is the league better with Adam Morrison?

You didn't answer the question, would Lebron be better if he went to school for 4 years? He'd be in his second year, would he putting these type of numbers up?

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

And WHY do we know that that LeBron shot was real?

Because of the cache of legitimacy 60 Minutes has.

Think about that as each newspaper folds. Will you believe the news on blogs that have been in operation 9 months? Will you really believe it?

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would think his numbers would be very much the same as Bird, Magic and Jordan in their second years, but numbers are only part of the measure of a great player.

Yes, he would be a better player. We are not talking twice the player, but in pressure situations, he would be better.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

93, I think you're looking at the debate as an absolute. Rarely are there absolutes. This debate is a perfect example. If we stipulate that there are some players (Brown, Miles) that should have gone the college route, is it at least fair to say that there are others (LeBron, Kobe, Garnett) who did not need to go?

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You are so wrong it's unbelievable. He has been to the NBA finals, he didn't learn how to play in pressure situations there? He would have absolutely dominated the college game, some players are ready earlier than othere, some need more years in college and some don't. To make a blanket statement that everybody is better to go to school for 4 years is ridiculous.

Edit: Hockeybeat is absolutely correct

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

HB, if there was an absolute rule, I would keep players in college for at least two seasons.

Sure, James and Kobe and Garnett are great players, and they have done well for themselves, but to say that Garnett is as good as he could possibly be right now, I do not buy that for a second. At the end of the game, the ball goes to Pierce (the MVP if I remember correctly) or Allen, not Garnett. That is where his game lacks.

Look at Jordan at 24. For how sick James is now, I was shocked when I looked at Jordan's line.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/1988.html

35 ppg and he shot 54% from the floor? My God.

If James had some college seasoning, maybe he would not have been swept in his first trip to the Finals. How did Bird, Magic and Jordan do on their first trips to the finals?

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

What is the point in making kids go to college when they really don't want to go? For the greater glory of college basketball? Let's be honest. LeBron, Kobe and Garnett did not need to go to college. Forcing them to go would have been a waste of time. Most likely, they would have ended up killing time until they could go pro. That doesn't do the player, the program or the college game any good. In fact, it makes them even bigger pimps than they are now.

More to the point, the college game is covered in sleaze. If kids are forced to go, the sleaze quotient is only going to increase exponentially. The kids will become even bigger mercenaries than they are now. Families, friends, AAU and high school coaches, everyone's going to want their piece from college programs.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Bird had McHale, Parrish and DJ on the roster.

Magic had Jabbar, Nixon, Wilkes.

Jordan had Pippen

Lebron had ...nobody worth a shit.

College seasoning versus NBA seasoning and competition, not even close.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This post is fuckin stupid, I can't possibly respond. You're logic is fucked.
    How good were there teams compared to what Lebron was playing with when he went to the finals? Jesus Christ.

11. Dignan

Dignan Guest

If you're talking about the yell, I don't think that was Kroft. Probably someone in LeBron's crew.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Pancamo, I don't think we can win this battle, Devil played highschool hoops.

Draft saved Draft deleted