1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This guy sickens me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by lantaur, Jun 14, 2006.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Well, when someone's humorless, they find nothing funny.

But continue to pontificate and express outrage to try and prove how smart you are.

2. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Milwaukee has a huge Polish community, and I would think the backlash on this story will be catastrophic. It's not really even that interesting. Who cares about some back woods jag bag with an homage to Hitler?? The guys got to be out of his mind or just plain stupid to let the MJS talk to him.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I think the "most believe" refers to the "started WWII" part.
    Yes, he invaded Poland. And yes, that effectively started WWII. But it's not the same as him coming out and declaring WWII was on. Hence, the qualifier.

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Huge Polish community? You either haven't been to Milwaukee recently or are basing your assertion on reports from the '70s and '80s.

Seriously.

And for the record, no one would go so far as to call Elkhorn even a suburb of Milwaukee.

But I have a question regarding a larger issue.

How can anyone say this guy's views should be ignored, scoffed at or quashed just because we don't like his message? I think the guy is a loon, a dangerous loon.

But since when do we get to pick and choose whose views are worthy of being heard?

There is no way the paper can ignore this guy. From a jouralistic point of view it is an interesting story. Hell, I find it fascinating a guy like this believes what he does. Disturbing, but nonetheless fascinating.

I don't share his beliefs. I have no doubt the Holocaust is fact, not myth. But if we start silencing people just because we don't like their message...

Do we really want to travel that road?

5. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Blah, blah, blah.

Plenty of funny people here -- Ace, Bubbler, BYH, Westcoastvol, even boom from time to time. The standard for decent comedy is somewhat elevated. Not my fault that you didn't meet it. Christ, you're sensitive.

And I'm not really sure how I'm trying to prove I'm smart, but you're doing an excellent job of proving the opposite.

Why people deny the holocaust -- because people are NUTS. I've just posted that 162,000 people voted for a guy who wants to declare martial law in Alabama -- ALA-FUCKIN-BAMA, which, if you've not looked at a map lately, isn't exactly a border state -- to stop illegal immigrants from coming in. This on top of his claims that the holocaust was a really big joke, that the SPLC is the biggest problem in the state, that foreign-owned newspapers should be raided and that the white race is supreme.

People. Are. Nuts.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I'm not familiar with Alabama election law, but I sincerely hope that roughly 161,999 votes were from cross-over Republicans who were trying embarass the Democrats. I would (naively) rather believe that his votes were the product of a cynical political campaign than people actually believing what he said.

7. Geauxdawg

Geauxdawg Member

I'll say this in on the Alabama situation, and maybe a poster from there can enlighten us on the situation, but who was this other guy in the race?

We had a similar situation in a gubernatorial election in the early 90s in Louisiana — Edwin Edwards vs. David Duke. Everybody was shocked at how well Duke did, but it was literally a screwed-either-way choice. You had the former KKK grand wizard against a politician that at that time everybody knew was a crook (coincidentally, both are in jail at the moment). People focused on "how could David Duke almost win?!" but if you were there, it wasn't exactly the easiest choice. Ol'EWE wasn't much better (I believe at this point he'd already been indicted twice for corruption charges. Trial No. 3 was when they got him in the late 90s).

8. PopeDirkBenedict

At least that race brought us one of the all-time best political quips, courtesy of Mr. Edwards:

"Like my opponent, I, too, am a wizard under the sheets."

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I'd like to say that maybe people just didn't know any better. I mean, who really pays that much attention to an attorney general's primary?

But on the other hand, it's a damn primary. Who's voting in a primary besides the people who really do give a shit?

Maybe they just heard the guy's name, paid no attention to what was actually said and went with it. But I find that highly, highly unlikely. In fact, I think pope might be closer to reality. No way can I say a majority of those votes came from Republicans, but I'm betting a few did.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I liked this part of the story. So they weren't trying to conquer all of Europe, they were freeing the Russian people from Communism? What a bunch of sweethearts.

Holocaust deniers like this guy just don't want to acknowledge what they were part of. Others just hate Jews or have an agenda.

11. boots

boots New Member

This guy is a dick. That's a given. So he's got a shrine to a dead man. So what. Fuck him.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

Bad analogy. Now if you create an homage to your time in the majors, we might be in the same ballpark.

The man fucking paid $200,000 to create an homage to Hitler. That is a story. People tend to notice extravagant homages to anti-Semitic dictators and wonder what is going on. The community reaction is a story.

Draft saved Draft deleted