1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This firing seems extreme to me

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Columbo, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/15154166.htm

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not sure how that works. Couldn't someone else be responsible for the wrong tape getting on the air?

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I would think.

I wouldn't go quietly on this one.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe this was Double J taking down the office jerk.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

This is where Nipplegate has landed us ...

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. Fire Justin Timberlake, dammit!

7. markvid

markvid Guest

And it was outside the FCC safe harbor as well.

Granted, he shouldn't have said it into an open mic, but to fire a preemptive strike even before it might be investigated shows how paranoid everyone is about the way-too-powerful FCC.

8. Trust NoOne

Trust NoOne Member

This is stupid.

Bush is allowed to say it in private, but some sportscaster can't. The FCC is completely out of control.

This is the kind of mistake that could happen...god knows in my cable TV days, the wrong tape got played. With something like this, you apologize and move on. But the station feels it has to do something because of the damn FCC thought Police, so it fires a guy who's obviously done a good job because of some tech's error.

Folks, we've lost our country.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

I'm Ron Burgundy. Go fuck yourself, San Diego.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I used to work in television. I don't think this was his fault, unless he forgot to cue the tape. Otherwise, it very well could be the tape editor's fault because he's the one who plays the tapes and makes sure they're ready for air.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Stay classy. ;)

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

With all the costcutting in print and electronic media these days I'd be interested to know how many anchors who lose their jobs over something like this are people who have been in the business for a long time and are probably being paid considerably more than the people who wind up replacing them.

Draft saved Draft deleted