1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This ever happen to you?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoSueMe, Dec 12, 2006.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Tonight, I went to a high school basketball game. I was there early. I truly enjoy high school hoops and the game featured the top two teams in the city league. But for some reason, I just wasn't into it. It felt like I didn't even watch the game. I had nothing to ask afterward. It was like I vegged out during the game. My lede sucked and I wasn't sure where the game/story was going or went!

I'm not sure what this means. Maybe I'm tired? Looking forward to two days off after working 13 consecutive days? Who knows?

Anyone else ever experience anything like this? What did you make of it?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Guess you picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Guess you picked the wrong day to quit amphetamines.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Come on, man, how can you say that? You've got the greatest job in the world - you get paid to watch games!

I mean, I understand when accountants space out, their jobs are boring! But you get paid to watch games! Really, you shouldn't be complaining about working 13 straight days. I understand when, say, lawyers complain about working five straight, but your work isn't really work!

Buck up, or you could find yourself in a job where you don't follow high school kids around...

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

My advice is to begin drinking heavily.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Chalk it up to a bad day. We have them. We have to whip up creative juices every day in this business and sometimes they just don't shoot up like Las Vegas geysers. Don't sweat it. All of us go through cycles, for good and worse.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

There are geysers in Vegas?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Working 13 days in a row. That will do it.

9. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Don't sweat it man. Take a couple of days off and see how much better you feel when you go back.

It happens to everyone.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Good advice by the UTshooter. I finished this week's edition (going on 21 straight days of work), and even though three local teams opened the season tonight at home, I came home and slept. Gotta rest the brain. Said teams have more games in the next few days, and tonight's games would be a week old by next week's edition. Sometimes, as Joel Goodson's buddy once proffered, you've just gotta say 'What the fuck,' make your move.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

13 straight days? 21 straight days?
    Unless you're on an MLB road trip, this is basically called slavery, which was outlawed more than a century ago

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Nope, it's called being on salary as an exempt employee. Am I right guys?

Draft saved Draft deleted