1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Day in History: Knight Rider's last episode

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by goalmouth, Aug 8, 2006.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

From historychannel.com:

1986 Knight Rider's Farewell

The last episode of the TV show Knight Rider aired on this day. The program featured David Hasselhoff as private eye Michael Knight, but the real star of the show was "KITT," his talking car. KITT was a modified Pontiac Firebird, complete with artificial intelligence and glowing red lights. KITT assisted Michael on his crime-fighting missions, communicating with him through a remote device Michael wore on his wrist.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Some dumbass in the town I grew up in had the red lights across the front of his 1985 Chevy pickup and some type of horn/loudspeaker that could blast the Knight Rider theme song from Montgomery to B'ham.

I have to admit, though, the truck was very nice otherwise. He'd spent quite some time restoring it.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can never tire of posting this:

According to Brandon Tartikoff, the head of programming at NBC during the 1980s, the inspiration for the series came about when NBC executives started complaining about the problems of casting handsome leading men in TV series, because many of them couldn't act. Tartikoff and his assistant came up with a concept for a TV show called, "The Man of Six Words". Each show would begin with the leading man getting out of a woman's bed and saying, "Thank you." Occasionally, throughout the show, the leading man would say, "Okay," when receiving orders from his boss. Then he would chase down some villains and say "Freeze!" Finally, when the people he had saved from death would thank him, he would say, "You're welcome." For the rest of the show, the car would do all the talking. Although Tartikoff had meant the pitch to be a joke, the NBC executives liked the idea of a TV show about a man with a talking car, and approved it for development.

Oh, and for today's Hoff video moment, I present:

4. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Who cares.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Get the fuck out of here.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

If you're not interested in the thread, don't freaking post Cockdian.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

God bless you, Ragu.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Don't go trying to make friends with me now, phoundercockrealgrounddian.

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Around age six, I posed with KITT at a local car show. I loved Knight Rider at the time. I'm pretty sure the photo's still at the folks house. I need to find it; I've already tired of my new avatar/sig.

No sign of The Hoff, though. Some chick was probably running her hands through -- or snorting coke off -- that forest of chest hair. :D

10. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Gee, at first I thought this thread was about Knight RIDDER.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I saw KITT at Universal Studios in CA in the summer of 1989. I think I asked him about some episode, and the car, or the dude talking through the car, made up some great, believable answer. Then again, I would've believed anything... it was freaking KITT!

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

There was nothing artificial about KITT's intelligence, man. If only Edward Mulhare were alive today ...

Draft saved Draft deleted